Friday, August 1, 2014

And You May Ask Yourself, How Do I Work This?

I draw your attention not to the calavera or to her demon accompaniment, but to something infinitely more valuable to me: the window behind them.
20140801_191230.jpg

 This is the new studio's highlight for me, the windows. They offer a source of natural light and an outside view, something that was completely lacking in the horrible old studio.

As I painted, I had blinds up and the door open and I could hear the birds singing and I could see (see!) dusk approaching.
20140801_191207.jpg

These busts are entirely new work inspired by the workshop that Judi and I took with Janis Mars Wonderlich. I have never, ever done anything like these coil-built busts.  There are things to be learned, not only from the construction of them, but also from the underglazing and glazing of them. This is the first stage of underglazing.
20140801_191212.jpg

From here, they'll go into the bisque kiln (again), then perhaps get another underglaze and glaze coat.  But honestly, I don't know. I have no idea what I'm doing, which is a wonderful thing. I was thinking on the way home that when I am in this state, mistakes and successes are one and the same. Both--either--teach me something about this new process.
20140801_191255.jpg

I'm so happy right now. Even though I walked into the new studio exhausted from too little sleep, I left feeling energized, ready to start the next stage.

2 comments:

Ruthy said...

Looks like a great place to be inspired.
Love you

Rosa said...

Yes, it is!

Love you, too. :)