Monday, September 29, 2014

Summer to Fall

I started a new sculpture on Saturday, another coil-built calavera, this one with more of an hourglass figure.

20140928_144201.jpg

I was going to cut out the ribs--the space between the ribs, actually--but ended up applying them instead.  They're not attached yet, here, I was just laying them on to see how I liked the look.

20140928_144221.jpg

Since I took that photo, I carved the teeth and added hair and eyes. I may add a corsage at her waist. I think she'll remain armless though.

The whole thing was intended as an exercise in figure modeling, which I've never done.  I wanted her to have a very cartoon-y, Marilyn Monroe-ish figure, and she does, but there are many, many improvements that I can make in future sculptures of this style.

In other news:

I had another session of physical therapy this morning. My arm is definitely getting better. I came home taped up with Kinesio tape. The jury appears to be out in terms of its effectiveness, but I like it actually. Even if it's all down to the placebo effect, it makes me feel better.

After PT, Dave and I went to have breakfast at a newish place, Tia B's La Waffleria.

20140929_103421.jpg

The food was really good. The service was super friendly and super inefficient.  We shared a waffle rancheros (a waffle topped with eggs, red and green chile, and cheese) and a sweet goat cheese and port-soaked cherry waffle. I had a latte and Dave a London fog.

20140929_101924.jpg

Now we're back home and  I'm back in my pajamas, listening to the rain outside.

It seems like over the weekend, we went from summer to fall.

No comments: