Saturday, October 25, 2014

New Baby, Brick, Hair

There it is, Dave's new baby, a Lockerbie Model EK motorized kickwheel.
20141021_163146.jpg

Brand-spanking new, just out of the crate it was shipped in.  Beautiful, isn't it?

Dave actually threw today for the first time in a few months. Not only does he have a new wheel, but he's throwing new clay, Laguna's ochre. We'll see how things go with that. New wheel, new clay, new glazes, new kiln, new studio. We're on a big curve, learning-wise.

This was today's quick piece, inspired by the new movie Book of Life that I went to see with my mother on Thursday. It is a gorgeous movie, full of amazing images. Many of the characters have carved faces and I saw that and remembered that I know how to carve! So I made this guy:

20141025_171132.jpg

He's not actually carved, simply because the coil-building method I use to make these figures means that they are actually very thin-walled and hollow, and that doesn't lend itself to my heavy handed carving style.  Instead I used a stylus to engrave the design. We'll see how it plays out over the underglaze and glazing processes.

First I made him, then I made him into a flower brick.
20141025_171142.jpg

The holes need to be cleaned up--I'll do that when the clay his harder and there is no danger of deforming it further.

And this little calaverita finally got some hair, such as it is. I was also going to do a bit of engraving on her face, but she was too dry and the clay was crumbling a bit too much.

20141025_171211.jpg

She still looks nervous about the whole thing. 

No comments: