Monday, October 13, 2014

This Day, Monday

Dave took an extra day off this week, after the last grueling out-of-town week.

The day started out with Dave having to run poor little Gray Kitty to the vet. He apparently broke a toe and it looks like it might be slightly infected. The poor little thing got an antibiotic shot and we were instructed to bring him back in a week if it doesn't look better. When they got home, Gray Kitty ran and hid under the bed. He hates the vet--almost as much as he hates being shoved into a cat carrier.

We spent the day running errands mostly, but we did start the day with a blunch/brunch at La Waffleria one of our newest go-to places. We always share a savory waffle and a sweet one. Today's savory was a tostada waffle (a waffle topped with beans, cheese, tomatoes, onions, red and green chile, and sour cream) and the sweet was a salted cojeta and green apple waffle. Due to some cashier mix up, we both ended up with a drink called a London Fog. (Dave ordered one and I made some remark which made the cashier think I wanted one and then it would have been too big a deal to correct her, so I just kept it.) The London Fog, in case you don't know, is a strong cup of Earl Gray tea with some kind of honey-based syrup and cream all mixed together, an Earl Gray latte. It was tasty, but had a bit too much caffeine for me.

After blunch, we went to Target. We didn't need much from there--our list had about five things on it--so I'm not sure how we came home with six full bags. After Target, we stopped at HomeGoods and picked up a garlic press, some small kitchen utensils, and a toilet paper holder for the studio. HomeGoods is right next to Whole Foods, so we stopped in for some fruits and vegetables. Outside the store was a small pumpkin patch with pumpkins for sale, 3 for $10, so we picked up three. Halloween is coming and we clearly need pumpkins for jack-o'-lantern carving.

When we got home, Dave got a call that his clarinet was ready to pick up from the repair shop, so we stopped by there. This is the clarinet that he got in NYC on his last business trip. It's a good clarinet (unlike the six other only-adequate clarinets he's bought in the last five months), so he was glad to have it back.

As if that wasn't enough excitement for the day, we went to Costco where I finally, finally, finally ordered a new pair of glasses. (I've only had my scrip for eight months.) The woman I spoke with recommended a pair of Tod frames, which I like. (I just looked them up online to find out that not only did I get a deal from Costco, they're also Italian, like my current favorite pair.) Along with ordering my glasses, we picked up wine and more vegetables, nuts, yogurt and so on.

Dinner tonight was a huge salad and homemade pizza. We get the pizza dough in our CSA box along with our other vegetables, and we added a sauce of garlic and olive oil, mozzarella and feta cheeses, green chile, tomatoes, Greek olives, and lots of onions.

Our other excitement was starting a new de-cluttering project at home. The project runs thirty days and each day you have to get rid of the number of things that corresponds with the day you're on. So on day one, we each got rid of one thing. On day two, we each got rid of two things, and so on. By the end of the thirty days, we'll have each gotten rid of 450 things, 900 things altogether. Amazing, right? (If we follow through to the end, it will be amazing.) This is day three and I'm wondering what we find to get rid of. I think I'll take the opportunity to clean out my closet and get rid of some books that I'm not planning on reading ever again. (I'm looking at you, Absurdistan.)

No comments: