Thursday, November 13, 2014

I Swear I Remember It That Way

1. Yesterday and today have been soup weather days. I made a big pot of vegetable soup yesterday and had it for lunch, dinner, then lunch again today. The vegetables came from our CSA harvest box (summer squash, carrots, broccoli stems, potatoes) and from our garden (tomatoes, eggplants, green peppers, and carrots), a last harvest since it froze last night. When we picked the tomatoes, I pulled all the green tomatoes off the plants and plan on making green tomato fritters (since most of them are too small to slice and bread) tonight along with some roasted turnips, cauliflower, carrots and Brussels sprouts. I also made mashed sweet potatoes. David will probably want gravy to go over everything, too.

Anyway, about the weather: It's getting cold. I say that, but right now I'm sitting with the front door open. The portable heater is pointed right at me, of course, but the door is open. The sun is just setting now, so the temperature is dropping rapidly.

2. We're expecting snow on Saturday, but we'll see if that pans out. (Dave reports that, no, the weather predictions have been updated and it's supposed to be in the low 60s on Saturday. Boo!)

3. We went to Costco last night with my older brother and came home with--yes!--more vegetables (cucumbers, mixed greens, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, haricot vert) and fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas). It's a race to get through the produce now before it all goes bad.

We also picked up bread, yogurt and cheese (danger!) and I split a pack of two pot roasts with my brother. (We debated between pot roast and steak and went for the less expensive option.) My brother is doing fine. He's job hunting (long story) and put in an application at Costco.

4. Today is laundry day. I'm doing laundry and watching this week's episode of The Blacklist. The cats are napping. The dogs are napping. I want to be napping, but instead I'll make a cup of coffee and put in another load of laundry. I probably should shower at some point today. I got up, had breakfast, and started in on laundry. I'm still in my pajamas!

5. It's later and I'm out of my pajamas now. I just finished prepping dinner and am about to get started on the laundry again. As many times as I tell myself that I'm not going to let it pile up until it becomes a multi-day project, it always piles up and becomes a multi-day project. Laundry is such a drag to do! Sometimes I wish I were more domestically inclined, I really do. Although if a grateful genie granted me three wishes, "domestically inclined" would not make the cut.

6. I'm just stalling now. I don't want to go do laundry! I don't! I don't! I don't!

No comments: