Thursday, November 20, 2014

Oh, Right

1. The new broken-hearted calaverita looks a bit demented, a bit Sunset Boulevard-y, from this angle.
20141119_181705.jpg
I'm okay with that.

She's green, with a preliminary coat of underglaze (Amaco matte velvets in radiant red, white, velour black, and antique ivory). She'll go into the kiln this weekend for a cone 3 firing.

Oh, right--this is her from the back:
20141119_181713.jpg
She's going to have a small diorama back there, a couple of skeletons embracing one another, hearts scattered around.
20141119_181730.jpg
I wanted her to look a bit more dejected or downcast than demented.

2. Dave and I spent the last two evenings at the studio. He's been glazing and I've been working on this and on some Christmas ornaments. On Tuesday, I started underglazing this one. Last night I finished up and loaded a kiln that we can hopefully fire on Saturday or Sunday.

3. It is a beautiful day today. The sky is very blue and I've got the door open even though it's a bit cold. The cats are out basking on the patio.

4. Dinner tonight is a layered polenta, spinach, and ricotta bake. I imagine we'll have to have a salad with it. I've been craving sweets like crazy recently. Last night I wanted chocolate ice cream (had a bowl of raisin bran with persimmon and Greek yogurt instead).

5. I slept in this morning. I've been having the strangest dreams lately. Last night I had a dream that had my grandmother and younger brother (both dead) in it. In it, my brother was about 12 (the last time I lived with him) and my grandmother probably in her 40s (? or about the same age I am now). We were in a strange kind of hotel or hostel and I was going out and asked them if they wanted me to bring back anything for them to drink.

2 comments:

Helen said...

She really does have the whole Gloria Swanson-staircase thing going on!

Persimmons are in season here right now. I'd never had them before I came to Japan, I like them. I've never really had polenta. I tried to make it once, but I didn't like it, not sure if I can get the ingredients here.

Have a good weekend!

Rosa said...

I do love persimmons. The hachiya persimmons are really rare here. They can cost $2-3 each! The fuyu are pretty common, but they're still kind of expensive, $1-3 each. I always have to have some when they're in season. I miss the good, inexpensive persimmons I could get in JP!

Have a good weekend! Stay warm. :)