Thursday, February 26, 2015

Abaddon All Hope

20141219_162331.jpg

Detail from Abaddon (Land of the Lost) by Carlos Quinto Kemm. There is a lot going on here. I picked that photo at random from my flickr site and then went to look up Abaddon, a word I had never heard before, I don't think. Turns out it's ancient Greek originally, then used in the Bible. A kind of place/being equivalent to Perses or Shiva.  Who knew?

The Week So Far

We last left off on Monday, was it? Man, the allergies are eating my memory. I really feel like a zombie these days. It's worse when I take Benadryl, which I have been doing recently when things get bad, nose-wise. That was Monday.

Same day, we got some snow, a very small amount that was gone by mid-morning. It's been a freaky run, weather-wise. First there was Monday's snow, then Tuesday it was cold, gloomy, and gray all day.  Today started out beautifully, was warm and sunny enough to have the door open all morning. By mid-afternoon, the wind kicked up and the temperature dropped. I shut the door and turned on the heater. I also had a pot of beans boiling away on the stove all morning, which helped warm up the place.

Dinner tonight--post-pilates class, which I'm skipping for various reasons--will be those beans and either nachos or stacked red chile cheese enchiladas with fried eggs on top.

Last night we had dinner with my brother, sharing a large pizza (half meat, half vegetarian).  We chatted for awhile before I got so sleepy that I could barely keep my eyes open. I seriously thought I was going to fall asleep at the table. Allergies again, I think.

We came home and I put on my pajamas and put some beans on to soak overnight. Then I got into bed, put on an episode of MASH, and fell asleep. Of course that meant that I got up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep again. I got up, I put the beans on the burner and watched a few more episodes of MASH. I'm pretty much done with the five seasons that are available on Netflix.

The rest of the week is supposed to be cold, rainy, and snowy.  All the plants that are blooming--the daffodils and the plum tree--are going to freeze. It's springtime in New Mexico!

So what else is new?

The food find of the week is a quinoa veggie burger from a company called Qrunch that we picked up at the co-op.  I was looking for a lower sodium version of the veggie burgers that we normally eat, and these fit the bill. They're very tasty, so I've been eating them for lunch recently.

The book of the week is Bill Bryson's One Summer: America, 1927, a non-fiction look at what was happening in the summer of 1927. It's very interesting in a way that I don't usually find history to be interesting. The whole first part is mostly about the history of aviation leading up to Charles Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic which took place in May '27.

Seems so strange, doesn't it, that the first flight across the Atlantic was not quite 88 years ago, but now you can catch any number of flights from New York to Paris on a given Wednesday. I just did a Priceline search. On May 20 (the anniversary of Lindbergh's flight), I can get from New York to Paris in 7 hours and 15 minutes (versus his 33 hours and 30 minutes) for $492 dollars. (I could even save $100 if I waited a week or so.)


No comments: