Thursday, February 5, 2015

Sleep, Move, Eat

Sleep

Every night I put a documentary on Netflix to listen to while I fall asleep. Sometimes it distracts The Brain enough that I can fall asleep, sometimes The Brain refuses to play along and instead I end up listening to a documentary. Recently, I've been listening Jazz: A Film by Ken Burns, which is a 10 part, 17 hour long documentary about jazz. It's really interesting and incredibly well done. I think I may have to stop listening at bedtime because it's keeping me up!

But to be honest, I haven't been sleeping well lately. I can fall asleep around 10:00 or 10:30, but then I wake up anywhere from 11:30 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. and I can't get back to sleep. Last night was one of the 11:30 nights. I fell asleep for about an hour around 3:00 a.m., but otherwise I got about two and a half hours of sleep total. I feel like a zombie today.

Move

We had our fourth pilates class last night. I was less shaky after, but I'm starting to feel sore already. We really worked our core muscles, which is great. 

I'm really liking pilates, actually. I didn't think I would, but I joined in because I desperately need to get some exercise. I like our teacher and our tiny little class. I like the exercise (it's more like strength training than cardio, which suits me fine). I even like that it's just beyond my abilities, so I have something to work toward.

Eat

When Dave got home from his recent business trip, the cupboards were pretty bare! While he was gone, I lived on eggs on toast, bean nachos, and green chile cheeseburgers and onion rings. Not a vegetable in sight! We also hadn't gotten the previous week's CSA box, so the veggie situation was getting dire. We run quickly through the veggies we do get because, since the new year, we've been trying to cook more at home and eat out less which helps us with our other goals of eating less salt (for my blood pressure) and fewer starches/sugars for Dave.

We decided on Monday night as our big shopping night. We went up to the farther-away but much bigger Whole foods in town and loaded up. We came home carting five big bags of groceries, lots of fruits and veggies and beans and yogurt. So healthy (ugh).

By the time we came home it was getting pretty late, so while Dave put away the groceries, I made us a couple of quick sandwiches. Dave had cheese, avocado, tomato, and red onion on his. I had salt-free rotisserie chicken, avocado, tomato, and red onion on mine. We've been eating low-sodium, sprouted whole grain bread from Ezekiel 4:9. They call it low sodium, but it's actually no sodium/salt free. It's very filling and quite good once you get over the shock of the taste of bread that lacks of salt.

Night before last we had veggie hash (a recreation of a recipe from Nosh, the Jewish deli we like) which was a mix of butternut squash, purple yam, potato, Brussels sprouts, carrot, orange cauliflower, onion, and garlic. We topped it with eggs (over-medium for Dave and very over-easy for me). To go with it, I sauteed black kale in olive oil with garlic and lemon juice. Dave also had a whole wheat tortilla and I had a slice of the Ezekiel bread, toasted.

Last night I made dinner before pilates, a garbanzo bean salad that is a vegetarian variation of a vegan imitation of tuna salad. (What?) It's basically garbanzo beans, mayo, mustard, relish, onions, garlic, and various spices (light on the salt) all mashed up together so that it resembles tuna salad (if you haven't eaten tuna salad in, like, twenty years). Piled on toast with tomato and avocado, it's a very filling sandwich.

Today I'm planning on making vegetarian or vegan minestrone soup with lots of vegetables, beans, and pasta. I'll probably have that with toast, but I expect Dave will want something else with it, like a grilled cheese sandwich.

2 comments:

Helen said...

I love hearing about other people's food. It all sounds delicious!

Sorry about the insomnia...I hate the feeling of lying there trying to sleep but it not working.

Rosa said...

Hi Helen! I love to read about food, too, even though I think cooking is a chore most of the time, and cooking healthy stuff doubly so. If I could, I'd live on cheeseburgers and chocolate bars.

I'm a life-long insomniac, but it never gets any easier. Ugh.