Thursday, March 12, 2015

Fancy!

I unwisely stayed up far too late last night watching the first two episodes of the British version of House of Cards. It's a very clever series made in 1990 (recently remade here with Kevin Spacey in the Ian Richardson role). When I got up this morning, I watched another episode and left one to watch in the afternoon. The US remake has been very popular, but I don't know that I'll watch it. I'm not remotely interested in political dramas, but this one is very clever and very well-written and held my attention from start to finish.

After , I did some things 'round the house and then sat down to have blunch (breakfast/lunch). Just as I finished eating, my mother texted to see if I wanted to go to lunch with her and my aunt. Of course. I thought about joining them for dessert, but as I hadn't showered yet, I decided not to.

After I showered, I did my hair--ugh--and dug around in the closet for some decent clothes to wear to dinner. I was going to wear a pair of black pants, but they kind of needed to be ironed and I couldn't find our iron. It was not in the place where we usually keep it. I probably haven't used it in a couple of years (I tend not to buy clothes that need to be either dry cleaned or ironed) so I have absolutely no idea where it went. Dave also looked for it when he got home and he couldn't find it either. I wonder if we got rid of it when we went through the Great De-Cluttering of 2014. I don't see why we would have, but where else could it be? It's not like the casita is so big that it could have gotten misplaced. So I don't know. It's The Great Iron Mystery of 2015.

After I couldn't find the iron, I defaulted to wearing a nice pair of dark-wash jeans and a dark gray pullover. This is definitely one of the great things about living in New Mexico: You can go to dinner to a really fancy restaurant in jeans. We don't tend to stand on ceremony here.

While I did my makeup, I watched the last episode of House of Cards. The ending was a bit too far-fetched for me, but it was still a good series.

Dave got home around 5:30 and started to practice his clarinet a bit. Kelly called to offer us some cheese from a crate of cheese we sent her as a very belated birthday present. We went out and chatted with her for a bit. Turns out she also goes to the dentist I mentioned awhile back, Al Germissen.  Soon it was time for David to change into a nicer shirt and for us to head out to dinner.

Our reservation was for 6:45 and we were a few minutes early but got seated right away. The place was pretty busy and it was quite loud inside. If the food weren't as good as it is, I might shy away from the place simply because of the noise level when it's busy. But the food is good enough to cover a multitude of atmospheric sins.

For dinner, I had a bowl of their garbanzo bean soup with braised shortribs, shared an order of chickpea fries with chipotle ketchup, then I had a huge, rare ribeye steak with tallow-roasted shiitake mushrooms. For dessert, I had lemon custard with whipped cream and blueberries and a cup of decaf coffee. Dave had the chickpeas, an arugula salad, and roasted spring vegetables with green garbanzo hummus. He had a couple of cocktails, a white port with tonic and lime. For dessert, he had bundt cake with caramel sauce and whipped cream and a glass of port. We waddled out of the restaurant quite a bit lighter in the wallet, but it was worth it.

We came home and changed immediately into pajamas and that brings us up to now.


No comments: