Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stuck

One of the surprises in the recent kiln was that this formerly two part sculpture is now one.
20150309_200749.jpg

Yes, the "lid"/upper body stuck. I think it's stuck with underglaze or the clay shrunk up enough that it's holding on to the bottom, but whatever it is, it is stuck.

That is actually perfectly all right with me. As far as I'm concerned, lidded anythings are a pain in the ass, pottery-wise. I'll finish and fire it as a single piece from now on and be just as happy as if it had come through as a lidded piece.

You can see where I stopped underglazing after I broke the piece in a couple of pieces. The repair job looks fine, though, and it should be easier to underglaze now that's it's been bisque fired and is a bit sturdier. 

The (Fri)Day

I am having the worst time sleeping recently. Last night I fell asleep around 3:30-3:45 and woke up with Dave's first alarm at 5:30 or so. I got up, fed the cats, ate an apple and made a cup of decaf coffee which I didn't drink. I packed Dave's lunch, then thought I'd go back to bed so I did. Of course I couldn't get back to sleep. Dave left for work around 7:00, and I thought I'd go back to sleep. Nope. A few miserable hours later, I took some benadryl and finally crashed for a few hours, sleeping right through a text from LuAnn asking if I wanted to go out for dim sum. Shoot. I did actually want to go out for dim sum, but by the time the text alarm woke me by dinging every ten minutes and I texted back, like, ninety minutes later, she had already had lunch.

I got up, made natto spaghetti--yum--and a cup of coffee. This was my last pack of natto, so I'm thinking I'll have to go back to the Asian market to get more soon. 

(Lots of Americans are unfamiliar with natto, which is a traditional Japanese food for people who live in the eastern part of Japan (Japanese from the western part of the country are less likely to eat it). It's a fermented soybean product that has a slightly dank, ripe smell and a gooey, almost slimy texture. It's definitely an acquired taste, but it's also hellishly nutritious with lots of iron, manganese, and vitamins K, C, and B.  It's also low in sodium, something that's increasingly important to me. The usual way to eat it is mixed into a bowl of hot rice along with a raw egg, but really, I've seen it top everything from soup to steamed vegetables to pancakes. When I lived in Tokyo, I used it eat it straight out of the packaged for breakfast and that's how I came to like it. Yes, at first it's disgusting, but then you find yourself kind of craving it.)

 After I ate, I got around to a little bit of dirty work. I scrubbed down the shower (it was getting gross) and changed out the shower curtain liner. I also cleaned the kitty litter boxes, which, ugh, and I swept up the litter that they tend to track out of the box.

I got some books from Amazon today, yay! I opened the box and had a look. The animal anatomy for artists book is not quite what I was expecting. It only deals with horses, cows, and dogs--and it's more like a textbook with illustrations that an illustrated book with a bit of text. There are some useful things in it though: Foxes and dogs are very similar in terms of their shoulder, paw, and limb structure, so those parts of the book should be helpful when I go to concoct another kitsune (fox) sculpture.

In the late afternoon, I took a shower, got dressed, and started dinner. I was planning on stacked red chile and cheese enchiladas with fried eggs on top and beans on the side. The chile was already done; all I had to do was add some more Quorn to it and heat it and the beans up. I grated cheese and chopped onions and tomatoes. I got everything all ready so that I could just quickly assemble the enchiladas and fry up the eggs when Dave got home. I cleared and set the table.

Dave had to stop at the bank on his way home, but that didn't take him long. We sat down to dinner around 5:00 p.m., which is a bit early for us, but that's fine.  After dinner, we cleaned up and I took my vitamins (which I have to start remembering to take more regularly, as I feel much better when I take them). Now we're both sitting on our computers.

It's a lovely evening though. We have the front door open (it's been open most of the afternoon) and it's only just now starting to get a bit chilly since the sun set. 

No comments: