Thursday, March 19, 2015

This Is What Wednesday Was Like

Wednesday was a cloudy day. I stayed up all night and slept through the morning, woke up, and was just texting Dave about how gloomy it was when it started to rain. I stepped out to have a look at the rain and thought about what a very Portland, Oregon-y day we were having here in the desert southwest. It rained on and off all afternoon and into the evening. I made sure to take my 5,000 IUs of vitamin D today, boy.

As far as the cats were concerned, the reviews of the day's weather were mixed. Gray Kitty is an old street cat and isn't fazed by rain in the least. He lolls around on the patio in almost any weather. He went out and came in from time to time to roll around on my lap and dry himself on my jeans. When he was dry, he'd run back out into the rain. Like Gray Kitty, Saba also came from a very rough background--was the only kitten to survive from her litter--but she was sheltered from very early on (in a public school, no less, where a teacher let her live in a classroom and took great care of her), so she is less understanding about rain. In fact, if a single drop of water from any source touches her, she becomes very indignant and complains about it very loudly. She spent most of the day inside, cuddling up with me or curled up on her favorite crocheted afghan that she commandeered from Dave.

For me, it was a quiet day. I had a quinoa burger for breakfast and then showered and got dressed. For lunch I had some leftover asparagus, a banana with soynut butter, and an apple.

In the late afternoon, I looked through my long-neglected Nexflix queue and choose a devastating documentary called Family Affair, about a family that was torn apart by years of incest that happened only to be revealed when one of the siblings accidentally(!) shot another one with a shotgun. It was an incredible story, told simply and very honestly.

I had decided to stay home from pilates, so I held dinner until Dave had gone and returned. Dinner was rosemary and garlic linguine (whole wheat) that Dave bought at the recent Fiery Foods Show. We topped it with vegetarian meatballs and low-sodium garlic pasta sauce and lots of Parmesan cheese. I sauteed some Swiss chard in garlic and olive oil to go along with it. Honestly, it was only okay. The pasta was a bit bitter and the greens didn't come out quite right. The sauce and meatballs were tasty, though. I could use those to make a killer vegetarian meatball sub.

After dinner, Dave got out his clarinet to practice, and I shopped for bras online. My bra size is ridiculous and consequently very hard to find in stores (or online for that matter). One of the places I shop is having a 40% off sale that ends tomorrow, so I decided to see what they have left in stock. There's a lot of foolishness when it comes to shopping online for clothes--bras especially--so I usually avoid it. However, I'm willing to take the plunge when it means saving 40%.

After a bit of shopping, I put on a documentary about a man who lived along an Irish river for a year. It promptly put me to sleep. I dreamt about riding a bike along a busy country road somewhere in Australia. It was dusk. There was insanely lush vegetation growing alongside the road, like dark, cool, deep in the rainforest level lush. I knew that I was lost so I looked at the GPS on my phone to see where I was. I used my phone to call someone and that someone turned out to be an Australian actor who I like very much. He told me that he was in the next town. I looked at my phone to see that the town was called Fallout and I was 42 miles from there.

Then I woke up.

4 comments:

Helen said...

That was rather a cool dream!

I cooked chard tonight, there must be something going around! Mine was pretty good though...I used at least a quarter cup of sherry in it, so it should be!

Rosa said...

I only wish I hadn't woken up from that dream. I could have biked that 42 miles and met up with my Aussie actor crush. Oh well!

I've never thought to put sherry in chard. We usually just go with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. I'll have to try it--but I don't have any sherry in the house. I wonder if gin will work. Haha!

Helen said...

It was supposed to be white wine, but I don't have any! I have this old bottle of sherry...I really should drink it instead of cooking with it! I'm not a fan of gin, so I wouldn't use it.

I used this page for ideas and the first recipe, sauteed swiss chard with parmesan as my recipe. I liked it, your mileage may vary of course--

http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-and-Cook-Swiss-Chard

Rosa said...

Nice! Thanks for the link, Helen! It'll be nice to try something new.