Friday, April 10, 2015

Out of Boundaries

I got up around midnight last night, just as Dave was falling asleep. I wanted to get back to sleep but couldn't, so I spent some time on the internet and watched some Netflix. After an hour or so, I got up to take my meds. I thought I might go back to sleep again after that--I even felt sleepy!--but just after 2:00 in the morning, the wind pushed open the gate and it slammed against the wall, scaring me half to death. Of course I was awake after that. I got up to make sure it was the wind (we've had lots of middle of the night activity in the neighborhood recently), and then I put away the idea of sleep.

I got up and had breakfast, my usual egg whites on a slice of toast. This time, I had a bit of the leftover quinoa tabouli on the side. I followed up with some strawberries, blueberries, and yogurt.

For the past couple of weeks while I have breakfast, I have been journaling and going through a small book of daily affirmations. I've never really considered myself a daily affirmation type of person, but I think it's helping to focus. Otherwise, it's easy to push difficult things that I want to deal with out of my head.

I didn't fall asleep again until after Dave had left for work. I slept until about 1:00 in the afternoon, a kind of long and glorified nap from which I woke wanting more. But no, there were things to be done.

First, we had to pick up our little car from the mechanic. (The wheel bearing on the front driver's side had been repaired and the batteries in the keys changed.) After we did that, we went for haircuts.  Dave got a really short cut that, with his overgrown beard, makes him look very hipstery, like one of the Mast Brothers. Me, I got my A-line bob trimmed up.

It was very late afternoon by now and I was starting to get a little hungry, but there were still more errands to do. I had a yogurt and fruit drink that I keep in my purse to stave off the hangry feeling. We brought the old car home then went right back out. We stopped first at the gas station, then went to Target.

We had a short list of things to get, but of course we never stick to the list so we came home with all kinds of stuff.  I couldn't find the face cream that I wanted, but I bought another tube of Aquaphor to use in its stead. (I've been using it since I read a dermatologist say in an interview that she uses it on her patients who have had laser treatments because she's never seen it cause an allergic reaction. I wonder about that since it contains lanolin, which some people are sensitive to, but it's working to help alleviate my ridiculously dry skin for now.) We also found that Target is now carrying Pacifica makeup which I could only find at Whole Foods before (as in, before they stopped carrying it). They make a great mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes, so I picked up a tube of that.

As we left Target, we shared a bag of Snap Pea Crisps and talked about what to have for dinner. That led to a stop at the co-op for vegetables for a stir fry. Yes, dinner was a big stir fry (tofu, broccoli and broccolette, cauliflower, onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger) on top of shirataki noodles with chile oil. Yum.

Otherwise, it was a very quiet night. Dave practiced his clarinet for awhile and I watched an episode of Begin Japanology about ikebana and then tempered that with few episodes of Bob's Burgers on Netflix. Yawn.

No comments: