Saturday, May 9, 2015

If There Were Two of Me, Then We Wouldn't Have to Share

Yesterday the swamp coolers were hooked up, so of course it was freezing today. It was cold and windy early in the morning, though it warmed up later in the afternoon. Still, I almost wished I had taken a sweater when we went out for lunch.

Dave and I had Mother's Day lunch (a day early) with my mom, aunt, and brother. We went to Mimi's Cafe, which is a French-ish chain restaurant. We ordered appetizers for everyone to share (baked brie, fried artichoke hearts with lemon-garlic aioli, and guacamole--not so French?) and then Dave and I split two sandwiches (a grilled cheese and an avocado-and-tomato sandwich on a whole grain croissant that would have probably shocked a Frenchman into an early grave). I liked my sandwiches, but I almost wish (since I was cheating on my diet) that I had just gone ahead and had a huge hamburger and fries!

Anyway, it was fun to get together and chat over lunch.

After lunch, we came home to change clothes. Then we headed to the studio.

I got a bit of work done on my sculpture. This was just a chest and two necks when I arrived:20150509_190510.jpg
Now it's got two heads, as you can see. The head on the left (the fleshy one) went on first. It still needs some work in terms of detail. The head on the right (the bony one) only has its teeth roughly carved in, so they'll need some more work next time, too.

Here's a close up.
20150509_190453.jpg
I tried to make it look like they were sharing a joke, with matching expressions.

The head on the left will get hair, of course, which will make the proportions of the face a little more realistic. (I want them to be a bit cartoony, but not so squished, if that makes any sense.) The one on the right will get a crown of flowers.

I almost wish I had gone with different clothes, but when I'm coil-building from the bottom up, sometimes it's hard to decide ahead of time what the heads are going to want to wear.

No comments: