Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Late Afternoon, Early Evening

Late Afternoon

The clouds started rolling in as I was prepping dinner. The wind kicked up and the light from the kitchen window went away. I turned on the overhead light.

The change in pressure when storms roll in always makes me feel weird. If I don't get a headache, I start to feel very spaced out. That happened.

I was listening to music as I cooked, something that I almost never do. I was listening to a mix of music that ended with an Ozomatli song (Time to Go) from their last album that I bought and never really listened to. Dave has recently bought the new Alabama Shakes and the new Bjork. I've listened to them at the studio, but haven't added them to my collection yet.

I couldn't decide on what to make for dinner, but finally just went with tempeh sloppy joes again. I used the new food processor to chop up onions, garlic, celery, red bell pepper, and carrots, and then I sauteed them in a little grapeseed oil. I added ketchup, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and red chile powder. Finally I put in a can of no-salt diced tomatoes, vegan Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, a spoonful of pickle relish,  and a few spices---roasted garlic powder, oregano, tumeric, ground black pepper. Then I added a package of ground up tempeh and let it simmer for a long time.

While it was simmering away, I did a few dishes and wiped the counter. I took out all the scraps from the last couple of days and fed the worms in the composter and in the annex. Saba came out to keep me company.

My brother had asked if we could come over and help him carry in a new mattress, so when Dave called to tell me that he was on the way home, I called my brother to let him know. I dropped Dave off at his place on my way to the vet to pick up some special food for poor Gray Kitty. (The vet wants us to try a special diet that supposed to soothe a stressed urinary tract.) When I got back to my brother's, they were already finished with their task.

I had realized on the way to the vet that my blood sugar was dropping. I hadn't eaten much lunch and it was about to catch up to me. We had pilates in an hour and I couldn't go without eating for that long. So we kept our visit short and came home and had a quick dinner (sloppy joes, sliced tomatoes, and Snap Pea Crisps).

Ah, Early Evening

Just back from pilates and a small side trip to Sonic to buy a diet Sprite. (I've been craving carbonated drinks lately, but I didn't want anything caffeinated so late in the evening.)  We had some rain on the way home and it was clear when we got home that it had been raining here, too. It smells like rain, which is nice, and the temperature has dropped ten degrees from the high--and will drop another ten-plus overnight. The rain should continue all night and into tomorrow.

No comments: