Friday, May 22, 2015

Not for Anything

Here's the broken record part of the story of my life: I could not sleep for anything last night.

I got up around 2:30 and then could not go back to sleep. I took my meds and had breakfast after a bit, then I finished Dave's lunch. I made a bit of coleslaw to go with his grilled cheese sandwich. I put together a bag of baby carrots, sliced cucumber, and snap peas.  Then I made up a container of Greek yogurt with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I also made my own lunch at the same time (but ended up having lunch at my mom's).

I had planned to go over to my mom's around 10:00 to help a bit with getting some things ready for my aunt's yard sale the first weekend of next month. We worked for a bit--I'm surprised by how much my mother is getting rid of, but then there's nothing like living with clutter to make you realize that you don't want to live with clutter--then we had to go out in a fruitless search for more boxes to pack things in. When we came back, we had lunch (really delicious pork chops and some frozen mixed vegetables in a Parmesan sauce). Then I was ready to collapse, I was so tired.

I came home (via a very circuitous route as there was a car accident on the road I usually take), changed into my pajamas, and got back into bed. The cats came to join me and, after a bit of tension between them, they settled down. I had hoped that after four years of living together they might become friends, but they still only grudgingly accept each other. It's true that Saba is completely dominant and poorly socialized to other cats (she was a stray that survived on her own for a long time before moving into a home) and she probably should be in a one-cat home, but under the circumstances, Gray Kitty is the best of all possible companions to her. He's well socialized to other cats (I suspect that though he was a stray, he existed with a colony of other strays) and he's non-dominant so he's amazingly laid back and mellow and, even though he's much bigger than her and could kick her butt every single time if he wanted to, he puts up with a lot before striking back. (Although lately he's taken to threatening her sometimes before she can strike out at him. It's almost understandable given how she does things like attack him in his sleep or when he's completely relaxed and getting pets from us.)
20150502_003639.jpg
She's adorable but very, very sneaky!

 Anyway, my point was not to go on about how the cats interact (how boring!), but to say that they did come over and share a bit of space with me and each other while I napped.

I slept until Dave got home from work about an hour later. (He was really early today!) We decided to order a pizza for an early dinner (so much for dieting today between pork chops and pizza!), so I put in an online order and Dave went to pick it up. We shared a 12-inch, thin-crust pizza (green chile and red onion on the whole thing, ground beef on my half). I ate four slices, drank half a diet Pepsi, and then went immediately back to bed. I was still exhausted.

Of course that meant that I got up around 9:00 p.m. and now it's 11:30 and I'm sure I won't get back to sleep any time soon. I got up and did the dishes and wiped down the stove and counters. Then I brushed my teeth and got back into bed! (Dave is sleeping; he's got a clarinet lesson tomorrow in the morning and we have pilates tomorrow evening. In between then, I may go with my mother to pick up some plastic bins from my aunt's house.)

It's Memorial Day weekend, so Dave is off on Monday. We may go to see a movie and I want to finally fire that kiln that misfired weekend before last.

No comments: