Monday, May 25, 2015

Seven Year Earworm

Roseanne Cash's song "Seven Year Ache" has been stuck in my head all day.



Good song, isn't it? Hard to believe it's over 30 years old.

Today we had lunch out, at Olympia Cafe. I had a Greek combo plate with souvlaki, gyros, potatoes, pita, and salad. Dave had a vegetarian combo with pastichio, dolmathes, tiropita, pita, and spanikopita. We shared an order of hummus, too. We've been going to Olympia Cafe since it was actually a Greek-owned and operated cafe and the food was amazing and the woman taking your order would speak English to you and Greek to everyone behind the counter. Now? It's run by people who don't speak any Greek and who seem to think that all Greek food contains a shit load of oregano. So maybe it should have been no surprise that we were the only table in the restaurant at lunchtime. (Though to be fair, it was dead on Central because of Memorial Day closing down UNM.)

Lunch was pretty salty. I'll be paying the price for that for the next day or so.

After lunch, we walked across the street to Satellite to get a couple of decaf lattes to take to the studio.

On the way from the restaurant to the studio, we passed one of the Breaking Bad tour RV's, similar to the one used on the show. They were stopped in front of the Denny's on Central (since shut down) where parts of the show were filmed. (Man, that Denny's sucked! I ate there once in the middle of the night and it was legit terrible.) The RV had a sign on the back advertising their Better Call Saul tours, too.

At the studio, Paul and Judi came out to chat and brought Crunch with them. He got lots of pets before settling down behind my chair. I waited until Judi and Paul went back into the house and then Dave and I fed Crunch a bunch of Milkbones. He loves those things, but Judi controls his diet as strictly as she does her own, poor dog, so he gets the bare minimum.

After filling Crunch with treats, I worked on my two-headed sculpture. I carved the skull's teeth and added hair to the non-skull head. That took awhile. Hair is one of my hang-ups clay-wise. It's hard to do hair well in clay, no matter how you do it. Even making cartoonish hair takes a lot of effort. But I did get it done. I also made up five roses and several leaves and added them to the skull as a kind of floral diadem. (I like making flowers sometimes, especially roses, but they are hellishly time consuming.)

Dave worked on the kiln and then glazed for awhile before deciding to make a coffee run. While he was out, it started raining. It was nice to sit with the studio door open and watch the rain while I worked.

We came home a little after 4:00, just ahead of more rain. We brought the clothes that Dave hung out to dry in and folded them, then I did a few chores. For dinner, I decided to make some vegetable soup (onions, garlic, carrots, red pepper, potatoes, cabbage, dino kale, zucchini, turnips, some jarred marinara sauce since I was out of canned tomatoes, and lots of seasoning). Dave had his with kidney beans mixed in, a drizzle of olive oil, and Parmesan grated on top. I had some chicken that I had poached earlier, so I added that to mine.

Now it's about 7:30 and I, having been up since about 2:30, am ready for bed!

2 comments:

Helen said...

It is a good song, I'd forgotten about it. I used to always play her song Tennessee Flat Top Box on my college radio show...don't know why I didn't play that one.

Greek Food.....major food envy coming at you now...can you feel it? Sorry it wasn't great though.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your work!

Have a good day/night/whatever!

Rosa said...

Hiya, Helen!

Roseanne is such a good singer/songwriter, isn't she? I was reading her bio on Wikipedia and she has been through some stuff. Real smart chica, though. I don't think I've heard Tennessee Flattop Box in 25+ years! My dad was a real, old school country music fan back in the day, so I heard a lot of that style of music.

Greek food is one thing I didn't see much of even in Tokyo. I can't imagine it's easier to find in smaller cities in JP. I think the closest I saw was a Turkish doner kebab stand in Ameyoko (Ueno).

Hope you're having a good week!