Sunday, May 17, 2015

Spring Cleaning!

I was up around 2:45 in the morning, took my meds, and then read and looked around on the internet until it was time for breakfast around 4:00. Dave's alarm went off around 8:00 a.m. and I got up and made us both some coffee.

We were planning on doing more spring cleaning today, so we got to work. We sorted and tossed things (a lot of things! Five garbage bags full of things!) then vacuumed and rearranged things and dusted. We even moved everything and hoovered up all the dust bunnies. (Some of the dust bunnies were more wombat sized than bunny sized. I told Dave that we are getting a roomba after this. It will fit under things well enough to wrangle the dust before it gets out of hand.) The poor cats were traumatized by it all. First of all, they are hardly acquainted with the vacuum cleaner, so that caused them a bunch of anxiety. Then we were moving things around, so poor Gray Kitty couldn't hide under the bed like he usually does. (Saba is braver, but even she was driven outside.)

We took a break around noon to get ready to go to lunch. Dave and I met my mother and brother for lunch at a new (to us) Japanese restaurant called Wasabi. It's a bit fast-food-ish (plastic plates, plastic cutlery) but the food was really good. We shared appetizers (vegetable tempura, tofu spring rolls, and chicken yakitori), then we ordered a bunch of food. My mother had a really tasty pork belly donburi with mixed vegetables. My brother had a chicken teriyaki bento that also included a small California roll, gyoza, salad and rice. Dave and I shared a vegetable donburi and mixed vegetable yaki-udon, and I also ordered an avocado and cucumber onigiri. The meals came with miso soup (which I don't like, actually, so I didn't eat it) and drinks.

It was a fun lunch. It was nice to sit and visit with everyone. If the restaurant were closer we'd probably go fairly often, but it's on the other side of town. It was good to try it out, though.

After lunch, I needed a nap. (I had taken half a benadryl at lunch because I was having an allergic reaction to something. I think it might be the perfume in the laundry detergent, because it seems like every time I put on a clean shirt, my face starts to turn red and hot.) While I slept, Dave worked outside, clearing out some junk on the patio.

I even dreamed of spring cleaning!

When I woke up we continued for awhile, and then made a quick run to Target. I got a new bed coverlet in this strangely appealing shade of yellow ochre and two dusky cerulean blue canvas-covered storage boxes, one for my makeup, one to house the array of necessary, inevitable clutter--power cords, battery rechargers, USB cables, and such--of the digital age. I also picked up some unscented laundry soap. We also had run out of dusting cloths, so I bought a pack of those, and toilet bowl cleaner and more garbage bags. And what else? I don't know. We spent quite a bit of money; I wonder what on.

At home, I made dinner--a veggie cheeseburger--for Dave. He was hungry enough that he ate it standing over the sink. (I still wasn't hungry, but then I slept while he worked outside).

We worked for a little while longer and then decided to call it a day. Dave got out his clarinet and I changed into my pajamas and snuggled up with my computer.

Our spring cleaning rampage is almost at an end. We have to sort out the closet, mop the front room floor, and wash the windows, but otherwise, we're done.

No comments: