Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Girly Things

The girls, with some new underglazing on them, ready for the cone 3 kiln--then a wash of oxides perhaps and some glaze.
20150609_154954.jpg

Apparently, I will never, ever finish one of these new sculptures. Never, ever.
20150609_095927.jpg

So this morning was exciting. I had an ob-gyn appointment this morning and, on the way there, I got pissed at some asshole who was driving like an asshole. I sometimes will honk at people who are doing something stupid, but I was so pissed at this jerk that I leaned on my horn for a long time and flipped her off. Grrr! I was pissed!

So I made it to the appointment and had to drive around and around looking for parking. I finally nabbed a space at the very back of the lot and had to walk across the searingly hot parking lot to the building where I was supposed to be.

 Day was already going so well, right!

At the doctor's office, I had to wait almost 15 minutes to check in. They were training a new receptionist and, after my fifteen minute wait, it took her over twenty minutes to get me checked in. I just stood there and stood there while she clicked at apparently random things on the screen and the person training her assured her that she was doing just fine. Which she wasn't. While I was standing there trying to keep a relatively tolerant look on my face (and I have a fierce resting bitch face so that people often think I'm in a pissy mood even when I'm having a great day), I see in the glass the reflection of another patient coming up behind me.

The new patient was the woman I had honked at and flipped off on the way to the appointment.  Of course it was.

After I checked in, I went and sat in a different part of the waiting room and waited to be called. Thank god, that only took ten more minutes. So from the time I walked in the door until I was called by the nurse, it was forty-five minutes.

I spoke to the nurse then she asked me to undress, put on a gown, and sit on the table and the nurse practitioner would be in shortly. Shortly was almost thirty minutes later. At least she apologized.

The exam, which included a pap smear, sucked. The speculum she had wasn't the right one, but she tried it anyway. Then she had to go get another speculum. The first one was warm, but the second one they apparently keep stored safely at the back of the freezer. So that was fun. I still can't sit properly.

My post-exam treat was a grande soy latte from the Starbucks in the hospital lobby.

After crossing the blazing hot parking lot--which made me rethink my hot coffee policy--I came back home and immediately started cleaning.

I've neglected my household chores for the last five days or so, what with setting up and then doing the yard sale, then attending to various house- and dog-sitting obligations. So the dishes had filled the sink and spilled over onto our bit of counter top. The kitchen table was cluttered with various things. The bathroom was getting gross. The hummingbird feeder was down to the dregs of sugar water. The garden was looking a bit parched....and on and on. It took several hours, but that's all taken care of (except a last bit of dishes which, there is no place to put them, so I'll have to finish up later).

I did a preliminary sweep of the bathroom and kitchen, but I'll run La Roombita later, when the cats can escape (since it's raining out now and they want to be inside).

We have pilates tonight and I've just started prepping for a pre-pilates dinner. I made up a marinade for some tofu and I'll start chopping veggies here in a minute. Dinner is going to be a quick stir fry with tofu, cauliflower, and broccoli, and red quinoa instead of rice (for Dave) and shirataki noodles for me.

6 comments:

Carol said...

The girls are glorious!

I refuse to have pap smears every year - makes no sense to me. I have been 'clean' forEVER, and since it's all about the HPV and I am in a monogamous relationship, and we have been together for years and years.

Rosa said...

I get it. I think we subject ourselves to a number of annual exams that we don't need.

Here's my rant though:

But I used to work in a lab focused on HPV research (all the dangerous, cancer-causing strains, so I've probably been exposed to all of them and I have the warts to prove it!), so I know that HPV-mediated cervical and uterine cancer can take up to a quarter century or more to develop, so that if you're my age (early 40s) and had unprotected sex with a carrier as a teen(!) it would just now be showing up as an irregular pap. I think after a couple good paps, then it should be less often than every year though, for sure.

Anyway, there are probably better ways to handle screenings than pap smears, like, why not do a blood test to see if you have or have had any of the serious/cancer-causing strains of HPV and, if so, then do an annual pap smear (and mammogram and skin cancer screening because over 90% of head and neck cancers including throat cancer in men are due to HPV)? Oh, because the blood tests that detect HPV are expensive, that's why! Who cares about saving women's lives (and men's too!) when insurance companies can save a few dollars to pass on bigger profits to their shareholders?

The other interesting thing is that HPV is so easily picked up (from infected shed skin cells) and is so difficult to kill (ie, with bleach, UV light, etc), that you can easily pass it on through non-sexual means and still end up with it on your cervix from a long-term partner, through, say, digital or other means.

That said, I'm not remotely afraid of HPV, despite my rant. The chances of getting cervical cancer are small compared to other types of cancers. But truthfully, HPV can have very, very serious consequences.

Gurrrrr....sorry about the ranty lecture-y comment though! LOL!

Helen said...

I wasn't sure at first which "girls" you meant...the sculpture in the front of the pic has a very low cut top on! (I've lived in Japan too long, I think everything is too low cut.)

I love your sculptures. I don't really understand them, but they are cool!

Rosa said...

Lol! Thanks, Helen! No, that is pretty darn low cut, I think. It even surprised me after I put the neckline on and stepped back to have a look. I was, like, whoa.

There is an O-bon-like holiday in Mexican culture called Day of the Dead (Dia de los muertos) where families honor their departed family members. It's like a big party where everyone, living and dead, can come out and have a good time. That's the inspiration for a lot of my sculptures, the dead "living it up!"

Carol said...

Thanks for the 'rant' - I love getting more info - I had pre-cancer/cervix and got that removed years and years ago - been tested recently (20 years after the fact) and no cancer detected anymore.

The whole testing/screenings/price of them thing along w/insurance and etc etc makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

Rosa said...

Yikes! That must have been nerve-wracking. Glad things have turned out fine.

Preventative care--and all other healthcare, really--should be free and freely available to all. I have never understood why this is a controversial idea among some groups. Yes, it would be expensive, but so is waging war and, say, corporate welfare and people don't grumble nearly as much about those things. Frustrating.

And insurance companies make me want to leave the planet.