Wednesday, July 22, 2015

That Kind of Day

Tuesday morning I went to therapy--a usual Tuesday morning thing now. I got home around 11:15 or so, texted Dave, then lay down for a nap. I got up several hours later and realized that it pretty much was time to start dinner.

Dinner was a kind of modified bubble and squeak (potato, sweet potato, carrot, cabbage, onion, and garlic) topped with eggs and served with a salad. Dave picked up a dozen jumbo-sized eggs a few days ago and so far I've run into two double-yolked eggs. Very lucky, right?

After dinner, we ran out to put gas in the car and stop by Sonic to get some giant, icy drinks and a vanilla cone for me, then we came home and vegged a bit. Dave practiced his clarinet and I watched a bit more of a documentary on Netflix, Alexandria: The Greatest City. It's interesting, if not particularly well done.

I fell asleep relatively early--then got up at 2:00 a.m., of course. I have another early appointment today, with an academic advisor at CNM. I have no idea what the parking situation is going to be like and I have to do several things like get my student I.D. and figure out why I haven't been able to sign into my email account. That should all be fun, right? Hopefully it won't take all day.

Later, Much Later

It has been a good day and a frustrating day.

I did speak to the academic advisor and it turns out that my previous degree puts me almost two semesters ahead of the game, since they'll accept most of my lower level biology courses.

I also got a snafu with my student email account mostly sorted. I can access it on campus and on Dave's computer, but for some reason (probably because I've never updated my ancient computer), I can't access it from my computer. The only problem with not being able to open my email from home is that I was wait-listed for a class (a system I despise) and the way they contact you is to tell you that have a space in the class is via your student email account. So I'll have to use Dave's computer for the time being.

What else did I get done? In addition to the waitlisted class, I registered for one class, a fakakte intro class, just to get my foot in the door (since you get an earlier registration slot if you're already taking classes). 

I have to go back up to campus to get my student ID since you can only get one when you can show them a class schedule, which is more than a little bit ridiculous.

Anyway, who cares? The first semester back after a long absence is almost always a wash, seems like.

That was the (mostly) good part.

The frustrating part was trying to get one of my prescriptions refilled. I've been trying since Monday to get a refill of a medication I have to take every day. 

Monday I called and put in a request with pharmacy #1, the place with the original Rx. I never heard back from them. Tuesday, I called them and they claimed, after leaving two messages, that they couldn't get hold of the doctor to get a new Rx. This morning, I called the doctor's office and they claimed they had never heard from the pharmacy. I left a message for the doctor and, a few hours later, got a call back from the pharmacy saying that they called the old doctor directly and the old doctor refused to refill the Rx.

So I called my new doctor and left a message asking him to refill the Rx and send it to pharmacy #2. I never heard back from the new doctor's office and when called pharmacy #2 a few hours later, they said they hadn't received a new Rx--but they had received was an Rx for a medication that I didn't need a refill of.

I called the doctor's office again and left another message and when I heard nothing and pharmacy #2 claimed that they had heard nothing, I called a third doctor through an online service offered by my insurance company. He spoke with me and sent an Rx to pharmacy #2.

When I called pharmacy #2, they claimed they hadn't received it. I called the third doctor's office again and they said they sent the request an hour before, but they would send another request. An hour later, pharmacy #2 claimed they hadn't received it. I called the third doctor's office again and they had someone call and speak directly to the pharmacist and an hour later when I called pharmacy #2 again, they said, "Ooooohhhhh, well, we actually got the request early this morning from the new doctor, but your insurance company claims it was filled until September and they wouldn't pay for it, so we just didn't fill it. Do you want us to go ahead and fill it?"

Yes, that's right. They claimed that my insurance company was blocking the refill and, rather telling me that or calling to ask if I wanted to pay for the medication myself, they just claimed they had never received the prescription the four times I called them.

I was beyond pissed, so I called pharmacy #1 to find out why they had made a claim on my insurance for a prescription they hadn't filled and they said, "Oh, no, we got a call from your old doctor this morning and we filled the prescription, it's right here."

Yes, that's right. In spite of my three calls to them, they claimed the doctor had refused to refill the Rx--this after they had heard from the doctor and filled the Rx--and that there was nothing they could do. After they refilled the Rx, they never called me to let me know that they had filled it.

I called pharmacy #2 and cancelled the Rx. When I went to pharmacy #1, about fifteen minutes after talking to them and they said, "We don't have any prescription for you. What number did you call?" Turns out the idiot pharmacy tech was either typing my birthdate in wrong or just had his head up his ass. Either way.

Yes, that's right: it took me three days and fifteen calls to three different doctors (none of which returned my call) and two pharmacies (only one of which returned my call, both of which gave me false information) to get a simple Rx refill for a medication I've been on for over a year. I can't imagine what other people, sicker than I am, would have done. Given up and gone without medication? Just kept getting the run around? Had to have had a fucking meltdown at the doctor or the pharmacy?

This is why I had a beyond fucking frustrating day. The whole thing is a joke.

In between all that bullshit, I had a nap, a Lotaburger, and Dave and I went to Costco.

So it's been a full day.

2 comments:

Ruthy said...

What are you taking at CNM?

Rosa said...

I'm taking an anatomy class and a required intro to lab sciences class.