Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Down to the Wire

This morning I woke up and stumbled to the bathroom. I was sitting on the toilet but I could hear the steady drip-drip-drip of a leaky faucet. I looked. The sink was fine. I looked in the shower. The shower was fine. Then I realized that it was rain against the skylight. Rain! We haven't had rain in so long! 

It rained on and off throughout the morning and stayed cloudy and cold all day. What amazing weather. Last week it was in the 80s and we were roasting so we called the guy to come and set up the air conditioners--and then today it dropped into the 40s and I'm snuggled in bed under a comforter and two dogs. Welcome to spring, I guess.

It's coming down to the end of my short vacation between semesters. Just five days left after today. Today the pharmacology instructor sent out an email: Hope you are enjoying your vacation, here are five chapters to have read by Monday.

Gee, thanks.

But I am still doing some fun things, mostly meals out with folks I haven't seen since before the last semester started.

On Sunday, Dave and I went out to dinner with my brother and mom. We had BBQ, which was way too salty, but very good. (I love BBQ, but I end up drinking about a gallon of water after to try to flush out the salt since it is not great for my blood pressure.)

Last night, Dave and I had a nice dinner out at our favorite new Indian restaurant. We shared some dal and paneer dishes, naan, dosas, and samosas. It was a feast! It was nice to chat over dinner, too.

Tonight we went out to dinner tonight with our friend Paul. We went to an Asian restaurant that bills itself as serving "Asian street food" and we ate dumplings and noodles and pork buns. It was all quite good, if far more expensive than actual street food in Asia.

Tomorrow I'm having lunch with my mother and aunt. We're going to a local 50's themed diner that has good burgers and Dave's favorite buttermilk pie. I'll bring him home a slice--and one of their enormous Rice Krispy treats for myself maybe. Those things are my favorite sweet, non-chocolate treat.

What else have I done today?

I ran some errands in the rain, which was fun.

First I had to go to the bank. I got an email yesterday from the financial aid department asking why I hadn't cashed my scholarship check yet. Did I receive it? Don't I want to set up direct deposit with them? Do they have my correct address on file? Would I cash it as soon as possible? (Yes. No. Yes. Yes.) (Those CPA types are so high strung, man.) So I ran out to the bank and deposited the check.

After that, I had to go by the post office box and drop off a letter. I got a speeding ticket--one of the camera ones--on one of the last days of my school commute. GRRRR! Since it was a camera one, it came to Dave (since his name is first on the car registrations). I didn't want him to have the points on his license, so I sent in the paperwork to change the ticket to my name. When they send the correction back, I have to send a check for $100. I was tempted to get pissed off, but to be fair, I am a kind of leadfoot driver and I did speed almost every day I was on the road. (Okay, it was every day.) So, I should be glad that I only got caught that once, right?

Still.

After dinner I spent some time working on my new bullet journal. I actually finished my first one recently and decided to start a new one with the new semester. I've been writing in the dates and calendars and tonight I started adding little motivational quotes in it, just things to keep me going. I also am returning to my habit tracker (exercise, study, vitamins, art, etc.) and mood and health trackers, too, so I set that up for the next week. And I went through and started boxing out a spot in each day to write out three things that I am grateful for. I did that faithfully for months and then let the habit slide when I got busy with school.

And--oh! exiting stuff: Tonight we ordered a new computer for me to use in school, a good use of my scholarship money. I have a fairly nice Mac now--nice enough that I don't want to take it to school for fear that it will just grow legs and walk away. So Dave did some research and picked out a cheap netbook for me to use on campus. It's nice because I can use it for schoolwork and it's not so inexpensive that it's disposable, but it's not so expensive that it's going to hurt as much as if my Mac were to be stolen. Anyway, my school computer should be here by Friday, which gives me a couple of days to play around with it before school starts on Monday.

Monday. Ugh.

No comments: