Saturday, June 24, 2017

Friday

It's Friday again and I survived another week.

Monday: two exams. Tuesday: sleeping all day. Wednesday: pharmacology lecture. Thursday and Friday: Clinicals all day.

Bits from the week:

A twenty-something, during a lecture that included drug side effects, leaned over to whisper the question to me, "What is impotence?"

The part-time, sixty-something clinical instructor, admitting on Friday morning that she was also exhausted.

A few weeks ago before class, a woman I don't speak to very often came over to ask me to be her patient to practice on. I agreed. While she examined me, we ended up chatting about, of all things, Ru-Paul and drag queens. Today she came over to where I sit (across the room from where she sits) and said, "I know this is totally out of the blue, but---" and she showed me on her phone a website about a Ru-Paul-associated drag queen show. "Tickets go on sale in ten minutes," she said three times. "I'm going to get four of them." The show was four days after the term ends, on a random Tuesday night in August. So ten minutes later I bought two tickets as an end-of-term treat.

As I was pulling out my credit card to pay for the tickets, one of the instructors came over and sat at my table. Reluctant to admit that I was using class time to buy tickets to a drag show, I told her I was paying my tuition online--which I actually did, but after I got the tickets to the drag queen show.

I've not been sleeping well, have been indulging in hours-long naps in afternoon which is not helping. I'm exhausted and the worst is yet to come.

Truthfully, The Brain likes the stress.

No comments: