Monday, February 1, 2010

Get Used To Losing


This is a plate after bisque firing, the first of two firings, the first at a lower temperature than the final, glaze firing that happens after the plate is decorated. This is a simple design for me, a traditional image of a flaming heart, and one of several plates that is part of a set I'm making with the same design.

This is, by the way, a failure of a thing because of this:


A goddamned rookie mistake I made when loading the kiln led to this--and three other pieces--cracking during the firing.

That was yesterday's rookie mistake.

Today was a hard day, not because of pottery, but because of another matter altogether. Nothing I can talk about yet, but it made my heart hurt. It still hurts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man.. it cracked?? anyway to fix it?

Rosa said...

Alas, no, I smashed it up already. You got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em with pottery, too!