Sunday, June 22, 2014

CSA, Sculpture Class, and More Cleaning

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

We got our first CSA box yesterday, delivered to our house in a cooler (that will have to be exchanged when our next box arrives).  Our medium-sized box contained beets (with attached greens, yay!), turnips (sans greens), grapes, blueberries, nectarines, kale, tomatoes, garlic, avocados, zucchini and yellow patty pan squash. Am I forgetting anything? We opted out of carrots (we are finishing up a big bag of baby carrots from Costco so we got extra tomatoes instead) and potatoes (which we don't eat so we swapped them out for kale).

The pros of doing this is that, yes, of course we are supporting local-ish, organic farms. We get the box delivered to our house, which is nice. And because it's just a straight up fee ($36 for the medium box we ordered), we avoid the sticker shock of buying organic fruits and vegetables at the grocery store. And hopefully the novelty of having them delivered will prompt us to develop the habit of eating more vegetables during the week. (This morning's breakfast was squash and kale over quinoa, so that's good.)

The cons are that the box arrives hella cold, even the things that should not be refrigerated (tomatoes, garlic, nectarines) come icy cold. The other thing I hadn't thought about was that now we have this cooler that has to be exchanged the next time we get a delivery, so we have to store it until then. Space is at such a premium in the casita that the cooler is a bit of a nuisance.

The service offers the option of having things other than produce delivered. We could order milk, cheese, bread, pizza dough, coffee, tortillas, eggs, and a bunch of other stuff. I think we might consider trying those things out in the future, especially if it's something that our local co-op doesn't carry.

Sculpture Class

Our last sculpture class was yesterday afternoon.  Most people (not me, not Dave) got through the majority of their sculpture, including hollowing out the damn things. Mine wasn't dry enough to hollow out, so I spent most of the class helping other people cut theirs apart.  When I get back to the studio (today hopefully), I'll hollow mine out and decide on finishing details (ears, hair, etc). I'll post pictures soon.

I'm glad I took the class. I would never have done a bust otherwise, and I'm already looking forward to doing more.

More Cleaning
Not very much more, but I did clean and organize the kitchen cabinets nearest the stove.

No comments: