Saturday, June 28, 2014

New Bust

I pretty much finished my first bust and immediately started working on another. This is how far I've gotten after three very short sessions of work:

20140627_182135.jpg

It's at the stage where the facial features are mostly done, but it still needs to be hollowed out and have ears, irises and hair added. (Those few little things actually take as much or more time than finishing the face, believe it or not.) I did add eyebrows early on because faces seem ultra-weird to me without eyebrows. I also added pupils though now that I look at it, those also seem strange without irises, like chameleon or praying mantis eyes.

This time, I wanted to try my hand at sculpting an expression, so I chose a wide but toothless smile.

20140627_182326.jpg


It's interesting what changes in the face when one genuinely smiles. Not only do the lips stretch (the upper lip more than the bottom lip), but the philtrum (the dent between the nose and the upper lip) flattens, cheeks bulge up, the chin widens slightly, the muscles around the nose engage, the lower eyelid lifts and curves slightly, the eyebrows often lift very slightly. Just lots and lots of little changes that add up to a smile.

No comments: