Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Seven Things

1. We have a mouse! (Well we have mouse turds, and I'm assuming they came from a mouse or more than one mouse.) It is--or they are--on the patio--that's where the evidence was left anyway. Where are our garden snakes when you need them? Or our cats for that matter? Two fat, happy cats are no match for a single mouse. I imagine we'll have to stop feeding our little chubbos until we stop finding evidence of mice.

2. Pumpkin Pie ice cream! Dave and I went to Baskin Robbins for ice cream after dinner tonight. He got German chocolate cake and I tried pumpkin pie ice cream. It was good. Tasted like pumpkin pie.

3. Day 19 of the 30 day decluttering challenge complete. We tossed CDs, expired sunscreen, unused samples from Sephora, old magazines, the hummingbird feeder that leaks more than it feeds, clay plant stakes that didn't work out, and on and on.  Thirty-eight more things gone from the casita. I thought that it would get tougher as it went on, and it is, but only a bit. It's not nearly hard enough to find things to toss.

4. But: $150!! That's the amount of cash we've found so far during our decluttering project. Insane. Let's go buy things!!

5. Two new books, for example. Books came today from Amazon, a copy of The Art of The Book of Life (design elements from the movie) and a book by Ivan Brunetti called Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice.

6. But is it ever enough? I also ordered Mark Twain's autobiography--which was published in 2010, 100 years after his death--per his request. Can't wait. I love Mark Twain.

7. It's cold tonight. I need to bust out the down quilts!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Just wanted to say that I've talked to my DH about your decluttering challenge and I think we might start in November. If he won't do it with me, I might just do it myself! I'm a bit of a pack rat!

I wonder if our BR has German Chocolate Cake...sounds amazing. I tried Spooky Cookie earlier this month, I liked it a lot.

We've had our down quilts out for a couple of weeks but then again, our climate is probably very different from yours!

Rosa said...

Hi Helen,

I have to tell you, it is pretty eye-opening what we've thrown away to meet with the challenge. I mean, it's stuff that you might ordinarily question, but suddenly you have to meet your goal for the day, so you just toss it without being sentimental at all--or even thinking too much about it.

I think it's difficult to recycle or donate things in JP, though, so that will make your challenge that much more challenging. But: Gambatte! (as they say).

It's funny: New Mexico and JP are pretty much on the same latitude and, except for the fact that it's much, much drier here (desert vs. island), we have much the same weather patterns! So I should have had my quilts out weeks ago, but I've been sleeping in heavy pj's and my robe because Dave likes it cold in the house!

Have a great day, Helen! :)