Saturday, November 22, 2014

Friday & Saturday

Friday

1. I had PT today. I came away with pink Kinesio tape all up and down my hand and arm. I was self-conscious about the taping when I first started getting it, but now it's just, like, ho-hum. It actually helps my wrist feel better and brings down the swelling without my having to take any drugs. That's the biggest plus to me.

2. My physical therapist today was talking about her family in Louisiana. Her parents, now in their 80s, have a picture of Robert E. Lee, the famous confederate general, up in their living room(!) still. Her mother used to host a cooking show with Justin Wilson, the cajun cooking guy (who, it turns out, was a jerky, womanizing alcoholic.)

3. I had ice cream (Talenti Belgian milk chocolate) for lunch. That was not the greatest idea, putting all that sugar on an empty stomach, so I followed up my ice cream with cheddar and ricotta cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla. I am not really a fully-functioning adult apparently, as I eat like an 8-year-old latchkey kid left to her own after-school devices.

4. For dinner I did have some vegetables though! David and I went to our favorite vegan Thai food restaurant and shared soy-chicken spring rolls, a red curry, and a dish called P.E.T (pumpkin, eggplant, tofu).

5. I made the mistake of drinking a diet Coke with dinner and the caffeine kept me up way, way past my bedtime. Bleh.

Saturday

1. Got up early after a long evening of fasting and went to get stuck for various medical tests that doctors have ordered. Ugh. I hate getting blood drawn. The techs always have a really hard time finding a suitable vein to tap. This morning the tech explained to me that it was because my veins are really close to my tendons (which is not the usual lay of the land apparently) and that makes it hard for them to feel for a vein. Who knew?

2.  The reward for an early morning of vampire victimization role play was a waffle breakfast at our favorite waffle place, La Waffleria. We shared a waffles rancheros (with the carne adobada on the side for me) and a blueberry blue corn waffle with lavender whipped cream. I had a latte and Dave had his usual London Fog. Both waffles happened to be gluten free, which: Why?! I don't like the gluten-free waffles as much as I like the gluten-laden waffles. More gluten, please!

3. It was still early, but we checked our phones to find that Artisans Santa Fe, a nearby art supply shop, was open. I wanted to look over their rubber-tipped brushes, so we went by. I picked up a smallish, pointy rubber-tipped brush, a water brush, a few small plastic palettes, and some conte crayons.

4. We headed up to the studio  after and I worked on glazing some pieces. Dave puttered around for a bit (basically killing time until he had to leave for his clarinet lesson). As he left, Judi came out to chat for a bit. We decided to go for a walk in the afternoon to get some exercise.  After a bit, she left and I had an hour or so to work solo.  I kindled an episode of The Bletchley Circle and watched it while I glazed. That show is just amazing. I'm more than a little bit in love with it.

5. Dave returned with coffee (a half-caf soy latte for me, a decaf latte for himself, and a regular latte for Judi). Paul and Judi came out and sat and chatted while we had coffee. Then it was time to go for a walk.

6. MY GOD, I AM OUT OF SHAPE. We did a poor mile and I was red-faced and tired after. Judi and I used to walk 3 miles a day--on top of the gym visits I did where I routinely followed up an hour-long weight-lifting session with 45 minutes on the treadmill. But now I am so far from that time! Ugh. Hard not to beat myself up about it. But whatever. We did it.

7. Dave and I did a bit of clean-up at the studio then headed out to the clay shop (for 100 pounds of clay, six new glazes, and three boxes of witness cones for the cone 3 firing) and for some lunch (Panera: chicken cobb salad for me and a veggie sandwich and mac'n'cheese for Dave). We also picked up some pastries to take to my aunt who is at home recovering.

8. We drove out to my aunt's house and visited for a little bit. My mother is staying with her and so while my aunt napped, we watched bits of a John Cusack movie and chatted. After a bit we slipped away, trying not to rouse my aunt who needs to rest and recuperate.

9. We came straight home and unloaded our clay and glazes (so it won't freeze overnight in the car) and unpacked our CSA box (which had arrived while we were out). We now have a fridge full of veggies (broccoli, dino kale, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, sweet potatoes, turnips, onions, lemons and limes) as well as one of their dressings (Shiitake-ginger, yum!). For dinner (after naps for both of us), I threw together a salad (greens, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, cucumber and red onion) with loads of the yummy dressing.

10. It's late! (Well, 11:00 p.m.) I've been catching up on youtube videos (lots of cooking videos as Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching) and reading celebrity gossip on various sites. (Lots of Bill Cosby stuff, ugh.)

No comments: