Saturday, February 28, 2015

Snow! Dreams! Cabin Fever!

Yet more snow overnight and this morning:

20150228_051306.jpg

20150228_062518.jpg

This is a lot of snow for New Mexico, which is good. We desert dwellers will take the water in whatever form it chooses to come. But it is a lot of snow for us all at once, considering that we have no idea how to act when it snows. None of us can drive in it. There were dozens and dozens of accidents on the road yesterday and the decision was made to close all the schools down for the day. Of course, that decision would have thrilled me when I was a kid. I remember on the days I woke up to snow, I would sit by the radio waiting to hear a list of the school closings. I don't think I ever prayed so hard for anything as I did for school to be shut down for a snow day. It happened once a year or once every couple of years throughout my school career, but it was always a gift when it did happen. Mother Nature giving us a day off from school! We didn't have to go to school, but that didn't mean that we stayed indoors. We used to spend a lot of time outside, playing in the snow, doing things like making snow angels in two inches of snow. It's such a rare treat here.

But now, I'm less tolerant of cold as I get older. Right now, I'm bundled up in my big, fuzzy red robe, sitting in front of the heater which is on full blast. The cats are stir crazy, running around like little fools. I took their little stick with the jute strings tied to the end and played with them for awhile, but then they started fighting, so I separated them and put the toy away. Now Gray Kitty is looking for a place to settle down and Saba's up on the chair, guarding the pink flannel bird with pink feathers for a tail that they got as a late Christmas present from Chris and LuAnn. 

It's 20 degrees out right now and the snow is supposed to continue through the morning. Unfortunately it's supposed to get up to 50 degrees today and then the snow will turn to rain. That should be fun: Lots of freezing slush on the roads turning to ice when the temperature drops again overnight. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up into the 60s. Most of the snow will be gone by then.

Last night Dave came home about ninety minutes early to avoid crazy rush hour traffic on frozen roads. We put together a very summery dinner with some quinoa veggie burgers that I bought at Costco, some pita bread (stored in the freezer since who knows when), feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, and ranch dressing. I also sauteed some baby greens to go along with it.

And what else?

Oh! So I've been taking some Benadryl for my allergy symptoms and it's been giving me the craziest dreams ever. They're dense and strange, with well-developed narratives and beautiful imagery. I mean, they're wonderfully detailed. I'm enjoying them very much. Maybe I should hit The Brain with more CNS depressants; they are known to slow brain activity. Maybe that's what's making The Brain respond with these beautiful dreams. For me, it's not worth the withdrawal symptoms or the hit to my liver, but I can see how some people would make a different choice.

No comments: