Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Long Post About Not Much

It's Wednesday morning. 

My space bar is acting up, reminding me that my computer is not new. Dave's been trying to get me to replace it for awhile, but it's still good. I mean, I can't update my browser anymore because it's so old, but it still works! And the best thing of all, whatever ad-block program I downloaded when I first got the computer has been a champ. I never, but never see advertisements on the internet, never, ever, not on any site I've ever been on. In fact, I was shocked when I first got my phone and went on the internet to find that there are ads everywhere. My internet experience has been ad-free for the last seven years or so (as long as I've had this computer).

Anyway.

Yesterday was a boring day. I don't even know why I should write about it. I didn't end up getting any more sleep. No sleep coupled with the return of the allergies and the benadryl I took meant that I wandered around like a zombie all day.  I didn't even end up going to pilates last night, I was so tired!  The good news is that I did end up sleeping through the night. That is almost unheard of around here.

Around 8:30 a.m., they started up on the construction in the front yard next door. I have no idea what they were doing, but they had some small earth movers out and were scraping the ground. As far as I was concerned, mostly what they were doing was making a fuckload of noise. The cats were not very happy about that; construction noises set them on edge.  Kelly called at some point to tell me that they are going to restucco their wall which is near where we park so I should move the car. I went out and did and saw that they were cutting up and removing the sidewalk up to the curb. (Is that even legal? I thought sidewalks were city property.) That went on all morning and most of the afternoon. Another reason I never got any more sleep.

Here's what I ate yesterday: For breakfast I had leftover BBQ brisket and some coleslaw as I was packing Dave's lunch. That was around 3:30 in the morning. In the mid-morning for my early lunch, I had some yogurt and blueberries and a grilled cheese sandwich. For my very late lunch/early dinner (around 3:30 in the afternoon), I made whole wheat pasta with a kind of avocado sauce, a vegan dish--that is, vegan until I added a ton of grated Parmesan cheese to it. I served it to Dave for dinner with some chopped tomato and he liked it. It's the first time I've tried avocado pasta (had to use up the last of the avocados that came in our CSA box awhile ago) and I have to say, I wasn't immediately enamored, but I would try it again with some variations to try to enliven it a bit.

Aside from all that, the most exciting part of my day was the episode of The Blacklist that I half-watched as I was surfing the net. See? Boring.

It's Wednesday around noon, now. 

They're still working next door, but more quietly today. Must all be hungover or something. I hope so anyway.

This morning, I spent a bit of time reading. I had a cup of coffee and yogurt with cereal, raisins, and honey for breakfast and again for a mid-morning snack. For lunch I made pasta with eggs and Parmesan cheese. Nothing exciting--and no vegetables either; We need to go for groceries.

I started watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I'm about twenty minutes in and so far it's slow moving and not very interesting. Its cinematography is obvious. The music is annoying. If it doesn't get interesting in another ten minutes or so, I'll turn it off. (Meh. I turned it off. I did go and read the wiki plot summary and apparently the film was deemed somewhat incomprehensible unless you'd read the book, which I haven't. )

In the afternoon, it got a little windy and the wind blew away the workmen from next door. I went out to water the patio with the hose for the first time this year. There are lots of plants in pots that survived the winter--and lots of little volunteeers are coming up in the garden, too. I told Dave a couple of weeks ago that we were not going to let the arugula (which reseeds itself) get a foothold in the garden this year, as last year it took over one of our two beds and choked out everything we tried to plant there. This year I'm going to be ruthless and treat the arugula like a weed!

It was nice to be out in the sun for awhile, even with the wind. The cats came out and lazed around on the patio while I watered. I made sure to give their much-beloved patch of catmint a good soaking.

Dave came home a little before 5:00 and I was asking him what he wanted for dinner. He said he didn't want to go out and I told him there wasn't much in the house to make a meal with. He suggested omelets and I said we only had two eggs--and besides, I had eggs for lunch. I asked him why he didn't want to go out and he sheepishly admitted that he had gone out to lunch with a co-worker (and then had eaten the lunch I packed him). Ah-ha! I said, since I didn't go out to lunch, I'm having a burger and fries from Blake's. He offered to go and pick up my dinner. While he went out, I cooked his dinner, a quesadilla and sauteed Swiss chard. Win-win! Yay for teamwork!

Over dinner, we talked about the co-worker that he had lunch with (a guy who--surprise!--doesn't like me) and we did our usual list of five things that made each of us happy in the last twenty-four hours.

We're off in a bit to meet my brother at Costco. I can pick up some more fresh fruits and veggies and some frozen blueberries. We also need Greek yogurt and Dave wants to get another bag of walnuts.

It's Wednesday Evening

We had our pricey little Costco adventure and came home with lots of berries and yogurt, a big block of aged cheddar, tomatoes, bananas...and on and on. We also got to chat with my brother for awhile, which was nice. We made tentative plans to go to dinner early next week.

Now I'm back home, back in my pajamas, looking at celebrity gossip online.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I really liked Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but then again, I'm into British films. And Benedict Cumberbatch and Colin Firth!

Costco...one will open here in a few months. By here, I mean in Tohoku, a mere 2 hours away by car.

Your food sounds so good. Honestly, I'd be happy if you could send me the leftovers :-)

I hope the workers keep being quieter... I used to work nights and know what its like to try and sleep during the day when it is noisy around you.

Have a good day (and hopefully sleep).

Rosa said...

Hi Helen,

Did you read the book before you saw the movie? I'm wondering if I need to do that. The film seemed so gray and drab and depressing though. I'm usually a fan of British films too, so maybe I need to give it another chance!

A nearby Costco? Will you check it out when it opens? I hear JP Costcos carry a lot of Western foods. Might be worth the drive if it saves you from paying import shop or FBC.

Thanks for the good wishes. I selfishly hope they call come to fruition.

Have a great day!

Helen said...

Nope, I haven't read any le Carre. I hadn't even seen the Alec Guiness series of it. I like the depressed, rainy type of British movie though.

I WANT to check out the Costco, but my husband is kind of dragging his feet. He's never been in one and has no idea why it is a "big deal" to me! Luckily, my neighbour in the next city is in the same boat, so the two of us might go halfsies or something on a membership. (I know you can't technically do that, but we'll discuss it.)It might be worth it just to get a decent pizza or something!