Sunday, March 15, 2015

Dream Descended

Saturday began just after midnight. I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. An hour later, my allergies kicked in and I, being an idiot, did not take any benadryl immediately. I don't know why I always think it's just going to pass. It never does.

I let the cats out, took my medication, and a little before 4:00, had a ridiculously early breakfast (capellini with lots of grated parmesan) and decaf coffee with milk.  I dicked around online. I read from one of my new books, John Bradshaw's Healing the Shame that Binds You.

After a few more hours, Dave got up. Saba had to go to the vet--she's been chewing on plastic again recently and I wanted the vet to check her teeth to make sure there was no problem--and I, finally having taken some benadryl, was in no shape to take her. He got up, had some yogurt for breakfast, took a shower, got ready and took Saba to the vet.

She came home with an absolutely clean bill of health, thankfully. The vet says her teeth have a little tartar, but not enough to worry about yet. So that's good. She got a new rabies shot though, which always makes her feel puny for awhile. She crawled off to a comfortable spot to sleep off the stress of the vet visit.

By the time Dave and Saba got home, the benadryl was hitting its stride and I was on the way to zombieland. We ordered takeout sandwiches from the bakery and Dave went out to pick them up.  I asked him to pick me up a large diet Pepsi so that the caffeine might shake me awake. He did. It didn't.

We had lunch, then Dave went off to his clarinet lesson and I went back to bed. I pulled a pillow over my face to block out the light and went back to sleep.  I got up again around 4:00. The benadryl had worn off and my allergies were gone.  (I think the neighbor's trees, next to our window, release their pollen at night, so the effect wears off by the middle of the afternoon.) My sense of smell was also gone, but no matter.

When I got up, I found that Dave had finished doing the dishes from the day before, then cleaned the sink and counter. My hero! I went out to check for our CSA box, brought it in and we put it away. (This week is asparagus, lots of greens, spring onions, zucchini, cucumbers, lemons and limes, beets, and a few other things that should make for some good eating.)

After filling up our fridge with good things to eat, we decided to go to Thai Vegan for an early dinner. We shared some salad rolls and spring rolls as an appetizer, then we had red curry with tofu as a main dish. I also had a Thai iced coffee, since my hope springs ever eternal, caffeine-wise.  While we ate, we sketched out a weekly menu and grocery list.

After eating, we ran by the pet store where we dropped a chunk of change on cat food, litter, and toys. I've been playing with the cats for 20-30 minutes a day, just to give them some attention and make sure they get a little exercise, and some of their old toys are getting pretty shredded.

After unloading the cat things, we headed out to the studio where Dave threw bowls and I worked on and subsequently broke the piece I was writing about yesterday. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to try a repair job on it. I may do it, just to see how it goes. Or I may decide to write off all the work I've put into it and just trash the whole thing.  We'll see.

Judi and Paul came out and chatted for a bit. She and Paul were heading off for the evening, but they put Crunch in our care. As soon as they were gone, I fed him about ten dog biscuits and made him a happy little dog. Turns out he loves dog biscuits. Who knew? Judi always has him on starvation rations, so every time I can I thwart her efforts by feeding him lots of treats. I leave a box of biscuits in the car so that I always have some with me.

We didn't stay long at the studio as it was getting late and we wanted to do our grocery shopping and I was under the mistaken impression that Whole Foods closed at 9:00. (It closes at 10:00.) I put Crunch in the house, set the alarm, and we headed out.

Of course, I had forgotten our list. (Actually, I left it in the new car but then we decided to drive the old car to the studio.) We recreated what we could from memory, and came home with lots of berries (straw, rasp, and blue), bananas, yogurt, sour cream, cheeses, olives, almond butter for Dave and soy nut butter for me, and so on.

At home, we put the groceries away and I made toast with soy nut butter and bananas for my dinner. Dave wasn't hungry.

I got to bed at a reasonable-ish hour, around midnight, fell asleep and dreamed that I triggered the alarm at Judi and Paul's house. I was running through the house trying to make it to the box to enter the right code, but I was just a fraction too late. I remembered the false alarm password, but there was another question, one I couldn't answer because it was asked in German. After that, the dream descended into the adult nightmare of red tape and bureaucracy.

No comments: