Saturday, March 21, 2015

Fridaze

Another screwy sleep day. Up all night and through the morning only to fall asleep in the late morning and sleep until late afternoon. I'm ready for this sleep schedule to right itself.

In the night, I read and watched some youtube videos. I made Dave's lunch (a grilled cheese sandwich bento with onion and tomato salad, yogurt with blueberries, cut up vegetables, fruit). I took my meds and had a ridiculously early (3:00 a.m.) breakfast of the salad leftover from dinner and a banana with soy-nut butter. Later, I had a cup of half-caf coffee with milk.

After Dave left for work, I tried to get more sleep, but the cats were having none of that. Gray Kitty took out his toy, the one with the bell on it, and brought it into the corner near the bed to play and talk loudly to it and himself. He's become quite the noisy little communicator since we've started to play with him and give him more attention. I finally was enticed to get up and move his toy around for him to chase.

Sleep was far awy then, so I read a bit more. I'm reading a handful of books recently, including one that I got a few days ago about daughters of alcoholics. My father was (still is?) an alcoholic and I still deal everyday with the long-term ramifications of having grown up with that, even though I shut him out of my life more than two decades ago. The book is a collection of experiences from other women who had alcoholic parents, written in their own words; experiences that were once so incredibly isolating are revealed to be commonplace.

Around 9:00, I started making lunch. I was making red-wine braised spareribs and they needed at least 2 hours to simmer. I browned the spareribs, chopped onions and garlic, opened a bottle of red wine and a jar of tomato paste. I put everything in the pot to simmer away and I started watching The Producers with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.  I love Gene Wilder, but the movie didn't hold my interest. (There was one funny part where the character, Bialystock, is yelling at his landlord, saying something like "God, I beg you to curse this man!" and the landlord says, gesturing up to heaven, "Don't listen to him, he's crazy!")

Around an hour later, I got impatient and ate one of the spareribs. (I had only made two.) Then I turned off the heat, put the lid on the pot and tried to get more sleep. I did finally fall asleep around 11:30 and I slept until 5:00.

I had a dream about two old schoolmates, Nikki Calvert and Jason Vitela, neither of whom I've seen in years. Come to think of it, the last time I saw both of them together was at Nikki's wedding.

(There's a story! Nikki actually was married to someone else when she met the man she's married to now. When she met the future-husband, he was hardly a man as he was only fourteen years old. She was 24, and along with her then-husband, was still at university. Anyway, her then-husband went away to Germany for a year as an exchange student and while he was gone Nikki met this fourteen-year-old kid in a coffee shop. She fell in love with him and decided to divorce her husband and pursue the kid. So that's what she did. She spent an inheritance from her grandmother doing it, too, buying him things like guitars and amplifiers and skateboards. When he turned eighteen (she was 28), they got married. Of course Dave and I went to the wedding. It was...strange. The wedding party consisted of his friends, all of whom were high school students, none of them old enough to drink. All of us--Nikki's friends--were heading towards 30. The wedding had a Ren fair kind of feel to it, all the kids playing dress up. (We adults didn't.) It was kind of like chaperoning a weird high school dance.

I met the groom for the first time just before the ceremony. He was short, pale, and delicate looking, slightly built, with shoulder-length blonde hair. He still looked about fourteen. I said to him, "I hear you and Nikki wrote your own vows," and he nodded. I asked him if he were nervous and he nodded. I said jokingly, "Well, I hope you don't get up to the altar forget your vows!" and then he kind of shut in on himself, drawing in and holding his breath and clamping his eyes shut tight. Later Nikki told me that he had Asperger's syndrome, a kind of mild (?) autism that made social interactions difficult for him and so my joking statement was incredibly threatening. Oops.

They're still together, almost twenty years later. True love, folks. Or true conditioning.)

Anyway, back to my day: I got up, got dressed, did some dishes. Dave came home then and we discussed what to have for dinner. (We haven't gone for groceries this week and supplies were running low.) We eventually decided to have sandwiches. He had a quinoa burger on whole wheat toast with tomato, and avocado. I had banana, honey, and soynut butter on whole wheat toast. Yum.

After dinner, we went up to Michael's to see if we could find some fabric medium for acrylic paint. The only thing they had was Martha Stewart brand and consequently far too expensive, so I passed. I'm sure I can find it cheaper online.  We came home via Whole Foods (where we stocked up on yogurt, berries, and some other fruit) and the pharmacy.

I had some yogurt when we got home and watched a stand-up comedian on Netflix. Dave got out his clarinet to practice. That's an exciting Friday night when you get old, I suppose.

No comments: