Monday, March 2, 2015

The Sublimed

Saturday

Yesterday was a hellishly lazy day. Both Dave and I slept in until very, very late, then futzed around doing nothing until even later. The day warmed up and the snow started to disappear and everything began to turn to mush. Around 4:00, Dave ran out to pick up a burger for me and then, while I ate, we realized that we were about to miss the window for our big discounted shopping day at the co-op, so when I finished up, we collected our bags and went out.

At the co-op, we ran into Chris and Lu Ann who were there, post-meat-fest at Tucanos, to load up on sugar sugar sugar. I know the feeling.

We were there to load up on all kinds of things. Our big shopping cart was full to the brim when we headed for the registers. We bought a lot of stuff that we use up slowly, things like vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, canned tomatoes, bouillon, and the like. We picked up an extra filter for our water filtering set-up, a one a year replacement that is quite expensive. We bought things that don't really have expiration dates, like toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and soap. I even picked up a new nail polish in a grayish-blue color called something like "celadon stone." A few hundred dollars poorer, we came home and unloaded the groceries.

In the evening, we did more of nothing much.  I had noticed while we were shopping that my hands were swelling up, no doubt the result of too many diet sodas (we bought a case of caffeine-free diet Pepsi at Costo), not enough water, and a salty burger and fries for dinner. I had an extra half-dose of my diuretic and then began slamming water. I probably drank a gallon of water, easily. After a couple of hours, the swelling went down and I promised myself that I'd ration the diet sodas in the future and drink more water.  Having an addictive personality is a cross to bear, even when it only manifests itself around diet soda.

Sunday

Sunday seemed like it was going to be another lazy day. The melting snow continued on its mission to turn the world to mush, though everything has been so dry that it's almost as if in some spots the snow sublimed rather than melted and soaked into the ground.

We slept in very late, then decided to go out for vegetarian sushi for lunch. Dave has been laying off the carbs recently, so it was a bit of a splurge for him, all that white rice. We took showers, got ready, then went out to a restaurant called Loving Vegan, where we shared an appetizer of vegetable tempura, then a dish of cooked broccoli, cabbage, carrots and sprouts. For our sushi, we shared four maki (rolls), one with kampyo, and three other more complicated things. Dave likes green chile maki, so we had one with green chile.  We ate far too much and, going as we have without white rice, it was like eating candy.

After lunch, we went over to the studio. I started painting the jarred lady and, after breaking off (and repairing) two parts, I decided to bisque her first so I loaded her into the kiln. I should have gotten some pictures before. The dress--the part that I've painted--is a mixture of all the different green shades of underglaze that I have, everything from chartreuse to leaf green, about six different shades of green, all laid on in as painterly a manner as I can manage. I'm thinking that I'll make the gloves a very pale lavender, or perhaps a pale, pale creamsicle-hued shade of orange or the lightest pink. Now that I think of it, I should have made the roses on the dress pink instead of yellow. Maybe I'll paint some over after it's bisqued and see what that looks like.

We only stayed at the studio for about ninety minutes. We came home to find that the CSA box had been delivered and we now have a ton more veggies to eat this week. After putting that away, I got back into my pajamas. I watched a couple of episodes of MASH while I painted my nails with my new polish. (I'm so out of practice at painting my nails that it looks like a five year old did it!)  After, I lay down to let them dry and, as soon as they were, I took a nice long nap. Long, like six hours long.

Of course now it's near midnight and I'm wide-ish awake. I just had dinner, a sandwich made on my low-sodium bread with a couple of the quinoa patties we bought at Costco, cucumbers, tomato, mayo, and feta. I also had a green salad with tomatoes, cucumber, and ranch dressing. Gotta get those veggies eaten!

No comments: