Monday, April 6, 2015

A Lazy Sunday

It was a lazy day. We did a lot of sleeping and internet surfing.

I got up several hours before Dave (my usual middle of the night rising time) and had a breakfast of egg whites on toast, with a side of blueberries and Greek yogurt. I also had a big cup of coffee with milk. After breakfast, I read a bit and watched a few more episodes of Begin Japanology.

Dave slept on.

After a few hours I was hungry again, so I had a cup of soup and some cheddar cheese on a slice of toast. Dave got up while I was making my lunch, so I offered to fix him something. All he wanted was coffee (he never eats when he first wakes up, I always eat as soon as I wake up) so we both had coffee.

Then I went back to bed.  I slept for a few hours while Dave did his thing, whatever that thing was. When I woke up again, I was ready for second lunch. Dave had eaten while I was sleeping, so I offered to fix up a glorified snack of fruit and/or yogurt. I had a small fruit salad made with banana, Bartlett pear, and strawberries. Dave had a bowl of mango, strawberries, pear, and yogurt. He also snacked on some garbanzo bean crunchies that I had made the night before.

The recipe for the crunchies is simple: Rehydrate dried garbanzo beans in water, then mix with a bit of olive oil and spice(s), and bake at 400 degrees until they're crunchy. They're very tasty, have lots of protein, and I can make them without salt, so I don't have to worry about having to devote any of my miniscule daily sodium budget to a crunchy snack. For the spices this time, I used a couple of salt-free spice blends that Kelly gave me, one called baharat--a spice blend common to Middle Eastern cooking--and one called something like Barrier Reef Caribbean Style Seasoning, which had a bit of brown sugar along with things like citrus peels and chiles. Both are very tasty. I upped the spiciness level by adding a bit of cayenne to the Barrier Reef seasoning. The cayenne we have now is ridiculously hot. We bought a jar of it at Trader Joe's a couple of years ago and I think we'll both be dead and gone before we finish this jar. It is so spicy that often an eighth of a teaspoon will be enough to amp up the spiciness level of a huge pot of chile to near unbearable. (I only made that mistake once!)

After our snack, we took showers, changed into studio clothes, and headed up to the studio. While Dave trimmed the bowls he threw yesterday, I worked on underglazing and glazing a couple of sculptures. We want to fire a cone 06 (bisque) kiln next weekend and something has to be in it.

Paul and Judi came out to chat for awhile. Paul recited several Ogden Nash poems--I don't recall what set him off--and we talked about the visit they're expecting from Paul's daughter and granddaughter later in the summer.  We talked until it was time to leave for pilates. While Dave changed into his pilates clothes, I quickly ate an apple. Then I changed into my pilates clothes.

Class was not terribly strenuous today. My back gives me trouble from time to time during class, so I do modified versions of some of the exercises, but overall, it is getting better. After class, we made arrangements to come twice more in the coming week.

We came home via Whole Foods, where we wandered around in a bit of a daze and filled our basket with lots of fruits and vegetables. We came home and quickly cooked dinner. Tonight we had tacos made with Quorn grounds, cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, red cabbage, and tomatoes. I sliced up some jicama to have on the side. I wanted to squeeze lime over it, but our lime turned out to be a juiceless bust.

While we ate, we watched an episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

After dinner, Dave put together a burrito to take for lunch tomorrow and we put away all the leftovers. I sat down to watch an episode of Bob's Burgers (yay! Netflix has season four up now!) and Dave practiced his clarinet for awhile.

No comments: