Sunday, April 26, 2015

How Went The Weekend

It's a gray and rainy Sunday, a nice change from our usual weather. It's supposed to go on like this through very early Tuesday morning. I love this kind of weather. It is, however, making me want to stay in bed all day and watch Netflix.

Saturday Went Like This:

I had a bit of a rough morning. I even yelled at poor Gray Kitty and poor Dave. I was super stressed out by trying to figure out if I was going to take the medication that the urgent care doctor prescribed for me and which I don't actually think I need. Even if I did need it, it's so stressful, given the reactions to medications that I've had in the past, to take any new medications. So I don't know. For now, I've decided to hold off and see if I can talk to my new primary care doctor about it.

I've been relatively stressed out recently anyway. Some of it is PMS, I'm sure. Some of it is dieting and trying to figure out what and when to eat. (And PMS makes me ridiculously sensitive to low blood sugar which also affects my mood.) Some of it is the continual disruption of my sleep schedule. Some of it is the return of my allergy symptoms (which are also curiously made worse by PMS). Some of it is the usual craziness that seems to infect me around this time every year.

Last Thursday I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with the same expensive therapist that I saw in the early part of the month. I'm supposed to see her again on Monday morning. I'm still not convinced and, for what I'm paying, I feel like I should already be convinced. We'll see.

After my morning meltdown, I got into the shower and then got dressed. Dave had gone off to his clarinet lesson, so while I waited for him to come home, I sat and watched cake decorating videos on youtube. I don't know what it is about watching cake and cookie decorating videos that is a good, calming distraction for me, but it works.

When Dave came home, we went out to run some errands. First things first, we stopped for coffee. Then we went to check out food processors at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I kind of love and kind of hate that place. (I definitely love looking at all the kitchen gadgets that I'll never need and never use, thinks like electric quesadilla makers (we just use a pan on the stove) and carpet shampooers.) We mostly just checked out the sizes of the food processors that I've been looking at online because BB&B charges full retail price for everything (the thing I hate!). I'm not paying $20 to $100 more for a food processor from there. We can get it for much cheaper from Amazon and they'll ship it right to us.

We also had to go to Target. Well, I mean, no one ever really has to go to Target, but we did go. We picked up cat food and litter, which we needed, and then about thirty things that we didn't need, strictly speaking. I don't know how I ended up with a new lipstick in the cart, but there you are.

We decided to have lunch out, at Thai Vegan. We shared an order of their "freshy rolls" (which are really just salad rolls), then had red curry and Chinese broccoli, both with tofu. Dave had a Thai iced tea and I just had water, lots and lots of water. I've been eating way too much salt and so I have to start flushing it out of my system.

We came home after and put everything away. Then we put on our little hats and Dave slathered himself in sunscreen and we went outside to do a little work on the patio. We have a ton of new plants to put in pots and we still haven't put any seeds in the garden. The wind kicked up a little, so we didn't get to the garden, but we did transplant some of our new darlings into pots. Though actually Dave did all of the transplanting. I spent time cleaning up the patio, raking and sweeping and rearranging and fertilizing and emptying pots that held last year's long-dead annuals. I mean, I kept myself busy, but I finally came in when the sun got to be a little too much. After a bit, Dave came in too. There are still plants to be potted, but we'll have to put in more time another day.

Gray Kitty had forgiven me by then, so he came to sit in my lap while I watched a few more cake decorating videos and ate a couple of bananas (for the potassium) and drank a few huge glasses of water.

The electricity went out last night for about an hour. Who knows why? I got to sleep relatively early and slept through the night, another kind of miracle.

Sunday's Going Like This, So Far

I've really been mostly vegging today. We had lunch--we planned omelets and then realized we didn't have enough eggs for both of us to have omelets, so I had an omelet and Dave had a veggie cheeseburger. We sauteed some dino kale and made a tomato and cucumber salad. We cut into four of our six avocados to find a good one (which, grrr) to have with our lunch.

We have pilates tonight, but that's not for a few hours. I don't know what we'll get up to this afternoon.

I filled up our hummingbird feeder. I can hear the hummingbirds zooming around out there, chasing each other everywhere. They seem to like this weather, too.

It's actively raining again now, raining quite hard. (Dave just went to look out and said, "It's hail!") I've got the front door open and the cats are snuggling up with me, listening.

Later

Back at the urgent care again in the afternoon. Ugh. One doctor, one nurse practitioner, two completely different opinions. But! It turns out that I didn't need the medication that the doctor prescribed for me after all--and someone was supposed to have called to tell me that and never did. I'm so not surprised.  I'm going to call my new primary care doctor tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment sooner than July. Let's have a third opinion, I guess.

We came home via Whole Foods, where I bought stuff to make myself a salt-free burger for my late lunch/early dinner.

I'm just going to go ahead and get back into my pajamas and go to bed now!

Oh! This is funny though: While I was looking for a book to take with me to urgent care, I picked up Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. We have two copies, one hardback, one paper. I picked up the paperback and found that it had an interesting bookmark: Two sheets of coupons from a bar that I used to drink in in Tokyo, Kachi-kachi-yama. That's TEN free beers that I passed up! Grrr!

No comments: