Sunday, May 24, 2015

A Sunday in May

I was up very early Sunday morning, so early it was still the middle of the night. I took my meds, waited an hour, then had breakfast (some of the leftover tempeh curry-ish thing over toast and some yogurt with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Lately I've been mixing in some pumpkin puree with the yogurt and adding a bit of cinnamon to the mix. It's very tasty.)

I spent some time online, took a shower, got dressed, and did a few other things, all before Dave got up. When he got up, he was hungry (I was, too, as it was about time for my lunch), so he went to Blake's Lotaburger and got a breakfast burrito for himself and an Itsa-burger combo for me. We sat outside on the patio and had our lunch, then did a bit of patio work. While Dave watered the garden and patio, I started a new tray for our worm composter and added a layer of newspaper to our worm annex. (I don't know if the annex is doing so great. First it seemed to wet so I mixed in some newspaper. Then a few days later it seemed too dry, so I wet it down a bit and added some more food scraps. We'll keep trying new things to make it work.)

After we finished up, Dave jumped in the shower. My mother texted and asked if I wanted to go out to visit my aunt. I did, but we had already made plans for the afternoon.

We went to see Mad Max: Fury Road in 3D. I had read bits of articles about it, how it's got a feminist theme that was making some non-feminist men call for a boycott. That was amusing enough to make me want to see it. (I'm not enough of a fan of action movies to just want to see it otherwise.) Of course I was just a kid when the original Mad Max came out, but we rented it (and the sequels) on VHS. I'll say that this movie (it's not a remake, but an entirely new story) is better in a lot of ways than the old movie(s), but it sadly lacks the black/sarcastic humor of the original. The new film is really amazing though, a kind of relentless, inventive action film. It held my interest from the first second until the last. Sadly, Mel Gibson was a better Mad Max than Tom Hardy is, but it doesn't really matter because Charlize Theron steals the show.

After the movie, we came home and I vegged while Dave practiced his clarinet. After awhile, he made some dinner built around the leftover curry (yes, it's so much curry!), some kohlrabi that came in our CSA box yesterday, and roasted potatoes. I promised to do the dishes, then went straight to bed and fell asleep. (A sink full of dirty dishes is still waiting for me, don't worry.)

2 comments:

Helen said...

I wonder how long I'll have to wait until I get to see the new Mad Max film :-( I saw The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome in the theater....loved them, but I was heavily into Mel in those days.

Kohlrabi...love that stuff. I found some a couple of years ago here, but none since :-( Must look for it again.

Good luck with the worms!

Rosa said...

I hope you get to see it soon! It's one of the best movies I've seen this year. Googling...Looks like the Japan release date is June 20, so maybe you'll just have to wait a few weeks if you have a first run theater. (If not, maybe a sneaky weekend vacation in Tokyo would be nice!)

Mel was so perfect as Max. He had that crazy like a fox thing down so perfectly. (Tom Hardy just seems crazy.) It's too bad Mel went off the rails recently. I *was* a fan.

Kohlrabi is hard to find here, too. We grew some last year but let it get too woody to eat. No one ever accused me of having a green thumb, let me tell you!