Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Random Pictures with Words

It's just after noon on Tuesday. I've been a busy bee this morning, getting some cleaning done and so on. This little nerd settled down for a nap on the bed I had just finished making and has been asleep for hours.
20150526_120505.jpg
Seems about right.

One of the things I did this morning was go out to the grocery store. Two grocery stores, actually. I've gotten better over the years about having a list and mostly sticking to it.
20150526_114327.jpg
The first grocery store, the co-op, had almost everything I needed, but they didn't have garlic of all things. So I went to another nearby local grocery store, John Brooks, where I bought some garlic, tomatoes, avocados on sale for $.69, apricots that looked ripe until I got home and bit into one to find out it was a sour, apricot-colored rock, and an 8-pack of 7.5 oz cans of diet Pepsi. Neither grocery store had the no-salt ketchup I've been using, so I'll have to go to Target for that.

(Posting my list today was inspired by a tumblr I saw that posts found grocery lists. It's oddly touching to see people's grocery lists. It's a small, strange peek into the lives of people I'll never know and the kinds of people I'll never be.)

And as long as we're on the subject of food, I've been snapping cell phone photos of my breakfast from time to time, for example, this was my breakfast about a week ago:
20150521_032223.jpg
It's kind of a dark photo because I eat breakfast long before the sun comes up and our kitchen light is not very bright, but that is one scrambled egg with two egg whites (topped with ketchup and tobasco after I took the picture), half a tomato, and a bowl of blueberries, strawberries, and some Greek yogurt hidden away under the berries.

(That morning, I was trying out a higher protein, lower carb breakast. I skipped my sprouted-grain toast and scrambled egg whites in favor of an extra whole egg, but turns out I need those carbs, man! I was super hungry about ninety minutes after I ate this, and ended up having something else. For some reason, some carbs stick with me longer than others. If I eat oatmeal, it's like not eating anything at all; I'm hungry before I even finish the bowl. But a slice of whole grain toast holds me for about three hours. Weird.)

Anyway here is another cell phone photo, taken as I was turning my phone off before the movie this past weekend:
20150524_122924.jpg
The bottle of water in the foreground and the small bag of popcorn that Dave is holding set us back a cool $10.55. Can you believe it? The water was about $6 and the popcorn about $4. Ridiculous. Next time I'm just sneaking snacks in. Also: The popcorn was so small that we finished it during the previews.

I'm going back this Friday to see Mad Max again with Judi and my mom. After we see the movie, we'll meet my aunt for lunch, possibly at Tucanoes, the all-you-can-eat-meat restaurant near the theater. Yum, MEATY!

Later:

We just got back from a Costco run. We met my brother there, which we often do. First we had to return some drawer dividers that we bought that were too big for our kitchen drawers. Then we picked up some more berries and yogurt and a few more fruits and vegetables. Man, we are loaded up for the week now. I've got to think of ways to fit in about six servings of vegetables with each meal! Ay yi yi.

No comments: