Saturday, May 23, 2015

Saturday's Doings

Saturday Morning

It's a bit before 11:00 a.m. I just got out of the shower and am still in my big red robe, the one that Saba loves to knead. (She's napping now, so the robe is safe.) I'm sitting in the front room with the door open. It's a beautiful day. The hummingbirds are coming to visit the feeder from time to time. The cats don't even talk to the little hummers anymore, they're so used to our little guests.

I just looked online at hummingbird species by state. New Mexico has 17 hummingbird species associated with it, ten of which are considered rare (not endangered I don't think, but rare to spot since they're migratory). I've seen rufous hummingbirds at our feeder and I think what are male black-chinned hummingbirds. They nest in the neighbor's trees, the same trees that torture me with pollen every spring when they bloom.

Saturday Evening

We went out for vegan sushi for lunch and then, walking back to the car, passed a newly opened (?) record shop. (Who opens a record shop in 2015?) We went into the closet-sized shop and browsed through their small selection of vinyl and CDs. (I ignored their cassette tape selection because, really? But I'm surprised they didn't have 8-tracks.) The CDs were priced at around $2-4. We bought three--Dashboard Confessional 2003 debut album, Lyle Lovett and His Large Band (1989), and Miles Davis Kind of Blue (1959)--and listened to a few songs from them on the way home. (The new car has a CD player--and an SD card slot and a decent radio. It also has XM Radio capabilities, which we never enabled, so we still get letter after letter begging for us to please, please, please subscribe to XM Radio, here's a special deal, here's an even more special deal, this is your last chance to subscribe, we said it was your last chance but we didn't really mean it, please please answer us, why don't you ever call?

After our little trip down memory lane (when was the last time we were in a record shop?), we came home and I crashed. I crashed hard. The white rice (plus allergies?) put me to bed for about four hours.

Dave went to pilates without me as I couldn't muster enough energy to do more than mumble when he tried to rouse me.

He came home hungry though, so we quickly put together a dinner of an improvised tempeh curry (tempeh, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, carrots, kale, red pepper, soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, Better than Bouillon, garam masala, oregano, red pepper flakes, red chile powder, garlic powder, black pepper and a bit of salt) to serve over roasted potatoes with sliced cucumber and Greek yogurt. The casita is going to smell like curry for the next week, I'm afraid.

After dinner, I did the dishes and Dave put the little Roomba to work. That thing still amuses both of us quite a bit. I'm still amazed how how ridiculously effective it is.

No comments: