Friday, May 15, 2015

The Bug

After sorting through the bins of pottery yesterday, I kind of got bit by the cleaning and sorting bug. So today I went through all the junk under the bathroom sink and got rid of nearly a full trash bag of things, soaps with scents that I hated, cleaning supplies that caused me to gasp and choke the first time I used them, bits of pottery that I thought I would someday use as soap dishes (we use liquid soap), and on and on.  Then, on a roll, I scrubbed the sink and toilet and the small bin that we keep bathroom reading in. (I also went through that and tossed about a million magazines into the recycling bin.)

When Dave came home, I showed him my handiwork and said that I only had the shower to scrub and he said he would do it. I didn't argue, of course. He did a great job on the shower and even wiped down the tiled bathroom walls. I replaced our shower curtain liner with a new shower curtain liner, and now everything looks all bright and shiny and new.

But I'm getting a slight bit ahead of myself!

We had dinner before the shower scrubbing. I've been craving Chinese food recently, specifically the amazing, garlicky, vinegary, spicy broccoli from China Express, the ridiculously good, cheap Chinese place that my brother discovered in a dead strip mall near Costco.  Dave and I shared an order of the broccoli and one of tofu chow mein, both with steamed rice. It was so tasty that we ate everything, enough for four people probably. I know I'll pay the price salt- and diet-wise, but it's a once-in-awhile splurge. I love that spicy broccoli.

But before even that: I was taking out the recycling bin filled with magazines in the afternoon and Kelly came out to show me her new computer. She just got a new Mac and it's a beaut, one of those stripped down jobbies that is practically lighter than a credit card and only slightly larger. She has recently joined Dave in his quest to get me to buy a new computer.

I've had two MacBooks. My first one bit it when I tripped on the power cord and it came smashing down onto the tile floor from the bedside table. It was a total loss. (Luckily Dave had backed up everything on it, since I never back up anything either.) That one lasted two-and-half, almost three years.

My current MacBook is about eight years old, which is around 8,000 in Apple years, so it would be nice to have a bright shiny new toy. But! My old computer is just fine! Sure everything is seriously out of date (I never update anything if I can at all avoid it), it overheats and shuts down a couple of times a month (usually when I fall asleep and leave it running some Netflix series for a couple of hours), and the CD/DVD player stopped working a couple of years ago (but the newest, lightest Macs don't even have CD drives, so), but it's my buddy!

I don't know. I do want a shiny new toy, but I don't need a shiny new toy. It's not like my hobby is gaming or something, where I need the latest computer to keep up. And if it were up to me, I'd still have my first Mac--and I'd probably still be carrying around a walkman and flip phone.

So--wait, how do I keep getting off track? I was talking about dinner before, wasn't I?

It started raining around the time Dave got home and it hasn't really let up for very long since. We ran around town in the rain.

After dinner, we went to Target. I wanted to pick up some more bleach, since we used ours up bleaching the pottery that came out of the bin that had molded newspaper in it. (Don't worry, it was all vases and things that people won't be eating off of.) I also picked up a couple of bags of freeze dried fruit, which is a tasty, low-sodium, low-calorie snack, perfect for when I want something sweet.

It was actually quite a restrained Target trip for us.

Mostly we were just killing time, letting the crowd at Costco thin out so we could go there and shop. We're not getting a CSA box this week, so we bought a bunch of fruits and veg to get us through the week. I asked Dave jokingly as we were passing the display of pillows on the way to the register, "Do you need anything else? New pillows?" He said, "Oh, yeah! I do need a new pillow." So we picked out some new pillows.

We loaded everything into the car in the rain and unloaded everything in the rain.

Then there was the shower scrubbing that I mentioned earlier. (I did the dishes while Dave did that.) And then it was pajamas o'clock and bedtime for me and clarinet practice time for Dave.  I have the season finale of The Blacklist to watch now. Yippee!

2 comments:

Helen said...

It must be spring! We're both doing a bunch of spring cleaning. Congrats on your shiny bathroom!

Your broccoli dish sounds very good...I miss western style Chinese food a lot!

I have one of those fancy new Macs without the built in disk drive. You buy a separate one ....since that was the first thing that went on my old computer, I kind of like it. If the disk drive goes or starts eating my cds, I can just replace the disk drive, I don't have to get a new computer. They weren't that expensive honestly. And back up! My 2nd Mac crashed and burned and took everything with it.

Have a good weekend! :-)

Rosa said...

I've noticed on your blog that you're doing a lot of cleaning. Great minds and all that!

I'm of two minds about the external CD player. I think having to pay more for one is aggravating, but yes, then you can replace it when it goes. (Of course, I could get an external CD drive for my current computer, too...) The other thing is that I like to watch movies on my laptop when I'm in bed, so how would that work with the external drive? Exactly how many devices do I need to fall asleep with? (Ha-ha!)

Dave sneaks in from time to time and backs up my computer. Mostly though I don't really keep anything on it that isn't already uploaded somewhere on the net. Of course, I did lose a bunch of music and some photos when I accidentally trashed my old computer, but I always think: It's kind of like going through a digital version of a house fire. Distressing, but also somehow freeing to walk away from the digital clutter!

Hope you're having a good weekend, Helen! And that the recent earthquake didn't shake you up too much.