Saturday, May 16, 2015

Too Many Opinions

We had more rain today, and it was fairly cold early on. While Dave went to his clarinet lesson, I crawled under the blankets and watched the season finale of The Blacklist. (It was not a bad episode, actually. I don't understand why a block of wood was cast as the central character, Elizabeth Keen, but I do love to watch James Spader chew his way through all the scenery and I super-duper, extra love the character of Mr. Kaplan and the actress who plays her, Susan Blommaert.)

I was up in time to get my pilates clothes on before Dave came home; we had an early class today. Dave brought me a half-caf soy milk latte and I had that and some cheese toast for a pre-pilates lunch.

Class was fairly sedate. Our instructor was telling us about an end-of-the-school-year banquet she went to for one of her kids. She doesn't like the kid's tennis coach; she's mentioned in the past that she's very suspicious that the 30-something coach regularly texts her 15-year-old son, and today she was mad because at the banquet the coach denigrated a kid who was dropped from tennis for having failing grades. I don't blame her for being upset: The failing kid is from Mexico and English is his second language and my instructor (who is from Argentina and speaks English as a second language) said, "I'd like to see that coach go to Mexico and take classes all in Spanish. We'll see how well he would do."

I got a little tired toward the end of class, but before that it was fine. I made it through. Judi didn't show up so it was just Dave and me. I called Judi after class and she said she hadn't gotten anyone's texts about the class time. I let her know about our next couple of classes.

We came home to the gate blown open and piles of hail in the garden and against the front door. The cats, who usually rush the door to go outside when we get home, greeted us from their warm perches on the bed, but didn't get up.

We decided to continue with the sorting and cleaning bug, so we started going through the pottery in the kitchen. We have a lot of it! We ended up tossing some things and consolidating a lot into a nearly empty cabinet. (It's full now!)

After awhile, we took a break and had salads for lunch. (It was quick and easy and not the cheeseburger I wanted, but oh well.)

We did a little bit of spring cleaning in the kitchen, then went out to get giant, icy, caffeinated drinks and to the hardware store to get a stirrup hoe, tension rod, ring clips, and a few other things. They had one of the things we wanted, the ring clips. I was getting a little hungry by the time we had gone around the store a few time to find that they didn't have anything we needed. Dave was hungry, too, so we decided to go to Thai Vegan for dinner.

We shared an order of "Freshy" rolls (salad rolls), green curry, and pad woon sen (a tofu and mung bean noodle dish). (TMI: I steered clear of the broccoli in the pad woon sen because my broccoli overload at the Chinese restaurant yesterday had left me a little uncomfortable.)

As we were waiting for our food, a group of women trickled in, one by one over about ten minutes. I've never really broken my habit of paying too much attention in restaurants, not to eavesdrop (because who cares what other people are talking about) but because I waited tables for so long and got used to keeping track of everything going on around me. I watch other tables and the cashiers and waitresses. I look for where there are problems occurring and how people--customers and service people--are handling things. But I especially watch how customers act. This table of women, for example, all ordered water, which is free, but they all ordered it in these ridiculously exact ways and they were so emphatic about it. ("I just want a little ice. Just a little. Not too much ice in my water." "I want a water with extra, extra ice and slices of lemon." "I want a water with no ice and no lemon.") I used to be so annoyed by people like that when I waited tables. I'm sure it's obvious why.

Anyway, I think I was a little hangry (hungry + angry) because I was so annoyed by that table. But then our food came and I forgot about them and focused on stuffing my face.

The wind blew away the clouds in the afternoon and the sun came out for awhile, at least over us. We noticed on the way to dinner that it was snowing over the Sandia mountains! But if you looked 180 degrees in the other direction, you could see sunny, blue skies. We are having some weird weather these days.

No comments: