Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday That Was

It's just after 12:30 in the afternoon. This little one is having a bit of a lie down.
20150527_122033.jpg
I feel like a nap, too. I've just finished a cup of coffee--my second today--and I guess I bought the soporific blend, because it has not helped at all.

Today I used our new steam mop on the floors. We've been running La Roomba every other day, but we might have to increase it to every day because the last time it did its rounds, it came back with a full bin. Whoa. Where is all this stuff coming from? (Some of it comes in on our shoes, of course,  and from the swamp cooler. Also, I suspect the cats are carrying in a lot of dirt and stuff from outside. But how much dirt can a cat hold?)

Anyway, the floors are all clean and I have to let the mop cool down and then empty the water tank and take off the mop pad and wash it. La Roomba also has to be emptied and wiped down after each use. Now instead of cleaning the things, we clean the things that clean the things.

What else is going on today?

A week or so ago I finished reading the last book I ordered (the hilarious Love, Nina: A Nanny Writes Home--link to a great review in the NY Times--by Nina Stebbe) and today started in on a book that came yesterday, Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it is wrenching in places. (There is one part where he describes visiting a patient, a young mother, who he has paralyzed by making a mistake during surgery. He tries to assure her that she might regain some of the use of her left side over time and she asks him, "Why should I trust what you say now?")

This morning I ordered a couple more books that have been stagnating in the Amazon cart for awhile. One is Harpo Speaks, an autobiography by Harpo Marx. I love the Marx Brothers and have read everything by Groucho Marx as well as one of the four biographies about Groucho Marx written by his son Arthur Marx. (That turned out to mostly be about what a spoiled shit Arthur Marx was.)

The other book is Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott.

Here's a quote from an article Anne Lamott wrote for Salon.com:
8. Families: hard, hard, hard, no matter how cherished and astonishing they may also be. (See #1 again.) At family gatherings where you suddenly feel homicidal or suicidal, remember that in half of all cases, it’s a miracle that this annoying person even lived. Earth is Forgiveness School. You might as well start at the dinner table. That way, you can do this work in comfortable pants. When Blake said that we are here to learn to endure the beams of love, he knew that your family would be an intimate part of this, even as you want to run screaming for your cute little life. But that you are up to it. You can do it, Cinderellie. You will be amazed.
Pretty good, no?

Oh, and earlier today I also emailed the new therapist for another appointment. I'm thinking every other week should hold me for awhile. I'm feeling okay at the moment, but I want to continue to feel that way. I'm not up to digging every week or multiple times a week, but every other week is manageable.

Food Stuff:

Dinner tonight is going to be a cauliflower and broccoli stir fry with tofu. I'm marinating the tofu in a bit of soy, grated ginger, and mirin. I'll fry that up, add the veggies, and steam some red quinoa.

No comments: