Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Happy Birthday Doings

Yesterday was my aunt's birthday and she, my mother and I spent a little time hanging out.
La Familia
The Birthday Girl!
We started out planning on getting pedicures, but the place where they wanted to go had a two hour wait, so we went for an early lunch instead. We went to Garcia's and my aunt had green chile chicken enchiladas a la carte, my mother ordered huevos rancheros with red chile, and I had my favorite, menudo and chicharrones. My aunt and I also split an a la carte order of beef tacos. We all walked out pretty stuffed.

We decided to go to another nail salon and there was no wait. The service was good--I like my dark grayish-mauve polish with white and blue flowers--but the place was poorly ventilated and I think we all walked out of there a bit high on the fumes.
20150720_130355.jpg
Since it was still early in the day, we decided to go see a movie. My aunt chose Minions and we found a 3D showing that fit our time schedule. I was a bit sceptical about it since it's a kids' movie, but it turned out to be hilarious, full of the kind of madcap pratfall-y humor that I, raised on old-school Looney Toons, enjoy. It also featured a lot of unexpected voice talent, like Jennifer Saunders and Jon Hamm. We all really liked it.

 After the movie, we made a quick trip to the mall, to Macy's, picked up some towels my aunt had ordered and then cruised the sales racks. Then we parted ways.

I came home and was completely unwilling to cook dinner or to have Dave cook either, so we ordered subs and a salad to share online from Dion's. We were going to bring them home, but decided instead to eat there and then make a quick stop at the grocery store. Dave has been on a watermelon kick recently, so we've been eating about three watermelons (small ones, but still) a week.

I was completely exhausted by the end of the day since I had gotten a little less than four hours of sleep the night before, so after we got home, I changed into my pajamas, brushed my teeth, spent a tiny minute online, then went to bed and sacked out. Of course that meant that I was up at about 2:30 in the morning--up for good since I have a 10:00 a.m. appointment to get to.

It's going to be a long day!

5 comments:

Carol said...

What an adorable photo of your aunt, and sounds like a great time to celebrate her birthday!

We have been cleaning all day long in anticipation of the Denmark pals arriving - just heard they won't be here until about 11:00 p.m. which is good because we'll be just about done by then! :D

Rosa said...

Pre-visitor housecleaning is the worst kind of housecleaning, isn't it? My favorite is the lazy-day housecleaning (which actually involves no cleaning and a pizzy delivery, now that I think about it!).

Speaking of smoking, how's the no-smoking policy going? You doing all right?

Carol said...

It's awful! And the worst is that we have really crappy furniture because of the cats scratching on it - fortunately, the angels smiled upon us - as I drove to the store to get groceries today for their visit, there was a beautiful recliner for sale for THIRTY bucks! So we were able to toss a chair and get a new fresh one!
Ahh, I'm embarrassed as last night we had a few beers (we have hardly been drinking mostly due to not smoking and me dealing w/my depression by not imbibing) and we smoked :( But it will not be a regular occurance, I promise myself and you!

Rosa said...

Nice find, for 30 bucks! Just remember your friends are coming to see you, not appraise the furniture. :D

Your story reminds me of Dave's grandparent's house, which was lovely and elegantly furnished, very cosmopolitan (as they were)--until you checked out the backs of the chairs which their beloved cat(s--plural, over the years) had shredded down to the stuffing. LOL!

Well, a smoking slip up now and then won't hurt anything. Best not to think too black and white about these things, imo. The way it was easiest for me to quit was to say, "I won't smoke--unless I really need to, then I will smoke if I want!" And having that permission was enough for me to generally pass it up.

Have fun with the visitors!

Carol said...

Heheee, we're not alone!!
Thanks for the kind words, Rosa, and great thought process/help 'permission' - you rock!