Saturday, July 11, 2015

Like Teenagers

Both Dave and I slept in like teenagers today, not waking up until way past noon. Then we decided to go out for dim sum for lunch (meh) and follow that up with an Italian ice (peach and pineapple for me, watermelon for Dave). I love Italian ice. It's like a grown up sno-cone. (Though I also love sno-cones.)

After that, we went by the studio. We unpacked our order from bigceramicstore.com to find out that one of the underglazes I ordered was missing. (Grrr!) After that, I packed up a few finished pieces to make room for the things that came out of the kiln this past week. (I had piled up everything on Dave's workspace and needed to get them into my workspace, which was already piled high with the detritus from the Bugs Bunny sculpture.) I packed and shifted and then finished up the Bugs Bunny sculpture. Then I started underglazing one of the newer sculptures from the last firing.

Judi came out to chat and that led to a field trip to check out a gym (where Dave and I used to go but where Judi has never been) and then a new yoga studio. (We stopped going to our old pilates studio a couple of weeks ago over some shenanigans that the teacher pulled.) We decided to start with a yoga class on Wednesday, although Dave and I are probably going to go join the gym this coming week so that we can introduce some strength training into our routine.

After the field trip, we came back to the studio and worked awhile longer. I spent most of the time underglazing but Dave threw a couple of bowls and then a new base for a future one of my calavera lady sculptures. To decorate it, I want to try out the piping bag and tips I bought for use with clay--though I'll have to make some more clay slip since my old stuff got a little too dried out to use.

We came home then and did a little housekeeping, ran Roomita around a couple of times, did the dishes, scrubbed the toilet, made the bed, took out the trash, dusted, that kind of thing. The cats wisely stayed out of it and opted instead to go sit in the garden.

That has been my day. Here are five things I am grateful for or happy about today:

1. Italian ice is very nice. I'll have to remember that next time the temperatures climb above 100.

2. We had a fine dinner of homemade red chile enchiladas, stacked, with fried eggs on top and a big serving of calabacitas on the side. Dessert, which we'll tuck into in a bit, is watermelon. Yummy!

3. I finally unpacked my suitcase from our trip. I don't usually let packed suitcases sit around, but this last time I shoved it into a corner and promptly forgot about it. Well, I finally unpacked today!

4. It was a relatively cool day, yay!

5. I got some quality studio time in and, hopefully, will get more time tomorrow.

No comments: