Saturday, July 4, 2015

May the 4th Be With You, Always

It's Independence Day!  And we all know what that means!
 20150704_161822.jpg
FIREWORKS!
20150704_161400.jpg
FIREWORKS!!
20150704_161540.jpg
FIREWORKS!!!
20150704_161640.jpg
FIREWORKS!!!!
20150704_194617.jpg
FIREWORKS!!!!!
So that was our haul (there at the bottom), a bag full of sparklers and snakes and fountains and smoke bombs and things that jump up and spin around and spit out sparks.

To be honest, we haven't had fireworks in years. Decades, probably. But for some reason, this year Dave wanted fireworks. So we went to this place in the K-mart parking lot and bought a bunch of stuff and, because this place didn't have snakes, we went to a second place--Gemini Fireworks--for snakes. (We had to have snakes, of course. Snakes were my favorites when I was a kid--along with bottle rockets and black cats. I remember running around for weeks before the 4th of July with packets of those three things, lighting them off in the yard and in the empty lot next to the house and in the street. My brothers and I spent every penny we could get our hands on on fireworks and we could never get enough of them.)

Tonight Dave and I had our version of an Independence Day celebration, complete with fireworks, burgers (so they were kale and quinoa vegan burgers on sprouted grain toast, but they're still burgers!) and coleslaw (with a low-fat yogurt dressing, but still!) and watermelon. We didn't have lemonade, darn it, but we did swing by Sonic and get large, icy, fizzy drinks to slurp on while we lit our snakes and sparklers on the patio.

The minute we lit our first snakes, the smell of it shot me straight back into my childhood. I don't know how I had any brain cells left after inhaling all that awful smelling smoke.

No comments: