Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Week End

Dave and I had a massive dim sum dinner last night with Chris, Lu Ann, Kai and Megan (Meghan?). It was great fun. After, we took Lu Ann home and then ran a few quick errands--one to the Apple store to look at the possibilities for my new birthday computer, one to LUSH to pick up some lotion and Ultrabalm, one to Target for cat food. Then we came home and that was it--crash time.

I woke up this morning around 3:00 a.m., hungry, which always seems unthinkable after such a huge dinner, but there it is.

Dave got up around 9:00 and, after I took a shower and got ready, we went to brunch at NOSH, the Jewish deli in Nob Hill. Dave ordered veggie hash with eggs and rye toast and I had chopped liver with rye toast and a black-and-white cookie (that was way too much sugar for so early in the day). We both had decaf coffee, too.

After breakfast, we walked around the Nob Hill Shopping Center. The shoe store there was having a sale and we stepped in to take a look. Turns out they no longer carry my size--11--so we turned around and walked right back out again. We stopped at the store that sells only olive oil and balsamic vinegar and bought a bottle of aged balsamic (which is probably actually just a balsamic reduction, but it still tastes pretty good).  Then we went next door to the Herb Store and bought a travel candle that smells like oranges and cloves. We apparently weren't done shopping yet, so we stopped in Beeps and looked at cards and gifts. Dave bought some oddly flavored gum there.

After all that, it was studio time! I worked on a few sculptures that came out of the last kiln.

The changes are incremental--and doubt-filled--at this stage. The worst part about it is that the crack in the arm of this kitsune makes her essentially a garden piece.
Inari
Still, it's good practice to work on her if only to see where things can go.

I did a wash of grays and black underglazes, wiped off, and I deepened the color in the eyes and I added eyeliner.
Inari

Just by way of comparison, here is the face before:
20150329_164129.jpg
See? Incremental changes.

I also worked on this bit of greenware, adding a few more underglazes. Bugs's mouth has a bit of a gaping maw look to it but that will all change when I paint the inside. 
Bugs

While I worked on these (and one other piece), Dave threw some bowls and a new form for me to build on.

Judi and Crunch came out to chat and we talked about trying one of Chris's cross-fit classes since I don't think my tendonitis is up to doing yoga in a serious way. I'll have to ask Chris if there are work-arounds in cross-fit. Judi and I will probably go to check out Chris's class tomorrow--if I get up in time.

After the studio, we came home for a bit, then went out for giant fizzy drinks, then came home again and had veggie cheeseburgers for dinner.

I'm pretty tired now though it's only a few minutes after 6:00 p.m. It might be bedtime!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Your art is soooo friggin AMAZING!

Rosa said...

Aww, shucks! Thanks, Carol! :D