Thursday, April 2, 2015

Wednesday!

After righting itself for a time, my sleep schedule has completely flipped again. I didn't get to bed until 4:30 and didn't wake up until 11:00.

I had taken my medication before I went to sleep, so I got up and immediately had breakfast (a banana and coffee followed by over easy eggs and a slice of toast). I was pretty hungry since I hadn't eaten in fifteen or sixteen hours. I'm not good at fasting.

After I ate, I opened the front door. It was a beautiful day and I thought it would be nice to get some fresh air and sunshine. Of course, I was immediately sorry for having risked it because the door was open for all of about three minutes when I started sneezing. Ay yi yi.  I closed the door up, but it was too late. Every pollen grain in the neighborhood had already found its way up my nose and into my sinuses and the histamine producing cells in my body went to red alert.  I cut apart a tablet of benadryl and took half. Then I started drinking coffee in an attempt to balance out the inevitable Benadryl drowsiness with caffeine.

The benadryl eventually took effect. (Sadly, the coffee did not.)

In the afternoon, Dave texted that a book I ordered had arrived. (Amazon texts him all the notifications about ordering and delivering.) I went and retrieved it from Kelly and Kevin's porch, where all packages get dropped off. The new book is by one of the women who wrote After the Tears. I read the introduction; I think it'll also be good.

While I looked over the new book, I had a snack--yogurt with strawberries and blueberries--and some veggies (baby carrots, celery sticks, grape tomatoes, slices of English cucumber, and snap peas).

I spent part of the afternoon looking over a Weight Watchers site that I used to use a lot about a million years ago (more like ten, actually) when I was dieting. Yes, it's that time again. I set up a new food diary using an orange Moleskine notebook that I bought awhile back and never even unwrapped. I wrote out the points formula and the points ranges and sectioned off a part of the notebook for points values for various foods that I eat. I wrote down everything I had eaten so far for the day and the points values for each thing. I have to admit that journaling what I eat is the only thing that keeps me from overeating and gaining weight. I have yet to step on a scale to see where I'm starting from, but I have a good idea of what my goal is.

I wanted to prep dinner before I had to start getting ready for our pilates class. We had planned on having salad and meatball subs, a fine, quick dinner to follow pilates. I stuck some of the frozen meatless meatballs in the oven to crisp up before I put them in the marinara sauce. We've been buying a jarred sauce that has no added salt. I like it, but Dave thinks it's a little bland. In an effort to counteract the blandness, I sauteed some crushed garlic in olive oil and added it to the sauce along with some dried oregano, roasted garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. When the meatballs were finished, I put them in the sauce and simmered them for a bit. It was all going to sit while we went to our class, so I didn't leave it on the heat for too long.

I grated some aged provolone cheese (which is crumbly and bitter, but fine to melt on subs), then I rinsed some of the salad mix that came in our CSA box and left it to drain in the salad spinner while I showered and got dressed.

Dave came home a bit early and we had our salad (mixed greens, chopped tomatoes, with a bit of the leftover beet and red cabbage slaw). Then it was time to head over to pilates.

Our instructor was very chatty today. She told us all about a friend of hers who is married to a professional poker player and lives in some stately home in Bel Air. She was amazed at how much money this person makes playing poker, millions of dollars apparently. That, and a whole bunch of exhausting leg and ab exercises, was pilates.

We came home and I stuck some whole wheat buns in the oven while Dave cleared the table. We watched an episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt while we had dinner, then while I did the dishes, Dave put together part of his lunch for tomorrow. I rounded out my day by finishing up a bag of chocolate-covered pretzels (yes, I wrote it down and counted the points).

I was afraid of staying up all night (since I had to be up early for an 8:00 a.m. dentist appointment), so at 10:00, I took a tiny bit of melatonin. It put me to sleep in about half an hour, which was surprising. I woke up a little before three a.m., took my medication, and finished up this entry. It's just before 4:00 and I'm ready for some coffee and breakfast!

No comments: