Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mercury Is Not Retrograde?!

I'll just warn you: There is some amount of cursing in this post.

Is Mercury retrograde right now or something? Hold on, I'm going to go check.

Nope, according to the online almanac, Mercury is not retrograde at the moment and won't be again until September 17.

So then I suppose it's a total mystery why almost everyone I've encountered in the past several days seems to have been tasked with annoying the crap out of me. I mean, I almost strangled some idiot working at the campus bookstore yesterday. And that was just the morning. The afternoon was not much better. I just felt angry all day long, really.

But by evening, I had to stop and ask myself if I was not just living that saying: If you meet an asshole in the morning, then you met an asshole. But if you meet assholes all day long, then you are the asshole.

Anyway, I came home, got a nap, wrote in my journal, did a walking workout video, and then I felt a little better.

Dave was home late because his new thing is percussion lessons in the evening. So while he was off playing conga drums, I was home making dinner (chickpea salad sandwiches and steamed broccoli). I didn't put myself out or anything, obviously.

After dinner, we went off to put gas in the car and get giant fizzy drinks and a vanilla soft-serve cone for me. (Recently, soft-serve ice cream in those flat-bottomed wafer cones are my thing. I've been having, like, two a week.)

And that was yesterday.

I will say that I'm taking a new medication for high blood pressure. Mine is only very moderately high, so I take a very, very low dose of the medication. But the new medication knocks me the fuck out. Like, I tried to take it during the day and then I just slept for most of the day. So I switched to taking it at night and seriously, within an hour of taking it, I am out. And it's not like falling asleep. It's like passing out. It's a kind of uncomfortable, uncontrollable blankness. I don't particularly like it. I'm going in next week for a blood pressure check and I'm going to talk to Dr. Shmoo, my near-doctor, about a new medication.

So that's happening.

Today has been kind of a boring day. I've been perusing my new million dollar, gold-plated textbook. I also watched a couple of episodes of Reading Rainbow on Netflix. I love that show. A million years ago, when I was waitressing, I worked the night shift and Reading Rainbow was on in the afternoons while I was getting ready for work. I used to watch it almost every day. That, and Teletubbies. I generally love children's television programming of that sort.

We're going out to dinner tonight and--oh, that reminds me, I need to get tickets for a Friday night outing. I'm thinking we'll go see a local production of Arsenic & Old Lace. I haven't seen it since I worked backstage on a production in high school. Actually, I think I did lighting? I don't remember. I did a lot of crap like that in high school. (I actually lettered in drama, believe it or not. I may even still have that letter somewhere...)

2 comments:

Helen said...

I did Arsenic and Old Lace in High School too! Only, I was Aunt Abby, so not backstage. It's a fun play. I've never seen it on stage...I love the movie with Cary Grant...he's a hoot.

Definitely talk to you doctor about that medicine. I don't think any medicine should knock you out like that.

Have a great weekend!

Rosa said...

That's funny! It was part of the high school drama canon, wasn't it? I've never seen the movie though I adore Cary Grant. Who doesn't? What a man!

Yeah, I definitely an going to chat with Dr.Shmoo. Though I have little hope that he'll do much! This stuff is not fun.

Hope you also have a good weekend! TGIF!