Monday, December 7, 2015

Good Little Webbis

I have been a good little webbis recently, so I have gotten a few rewards. Like these:
20151205_123901.jpg
That is a set of Derwent Inktense pencils (similar to watercolor pencils, but made of ink that becomes indelible once it dries), a set of Prismacolor Col-erase colored pencils, and a set of Caran D'Ache watersoluble pastels, which are the top of the line. Still in the mail: A set of Inktense blocks, which are like the pencils but woodless and block-shaped like pastels.

Here is a set of marks that maybe suggest how things can change when you add a few new colors:

20151205_123918.jpg

Here are some pages from my art journal, done with collage and acrylic paints:

20151205_124123.jpg
That is about the elusiveness (illusivity) of sleep.

20151205_124150.jpg
That is about the potential consequences of black and white thinking.

20151205_124208.jpg
That is about where, physically, you feel certain things.

20151205_124318.jpg
That is about the ego, id, and possibly the superego.

I like doing collage, even though I dislike the feeling of glue on my fingers. It's probably some nascent OCD thing, but I do not like it at all. (I used to very much dislike the feeling of clay on my hands, too. And I also dislike using chalk pastels or doing any kind of paper folding because the sounds make me cringe. I hate that awful, whispery, dusty sound.)

I should be studying right now; my A & P final is Thursday, but I am taking a break. I finished all the online homework (about twelve or fifteen short assignments) and quizzes (three) a bit ago, though, thankfully. They were all due tomorrow, so for once I got something done early! I have yet to do a take-home quiz and finish a chapter and a half of reading. Ay yi yi!

When I was getting my first degree, a million years ago, I became something of a cram artist. I used to tell my friends (who watched me procrastinate, pull all-nighters to study for exams, and come out with tip-top grades), "Knowledge sticks to anxiety."  (Meaning: You can memorize anything on the fly if your Brain is in an anxious enough state.) And it does! Or at least it used to! That trick is less sure now that I'm in my 40's, unfortunately. So I'm figuring out that my old strategy may now net me B's instead of high A's. My question is: Is my old way worth sticking to? Are B's acceptable? Hm.

4 comments:

Carol said...

I love neocolors!

Rosa said...

Aren't they gorgeous?! Just playing with these fifteen makes me want the full set that costs about a million and one dollars.

Carol said...

Back when I was working full time jobs that stressed the hell out of me, I spent way too much money/credit on art supplies, so I did buy that full set! I have a label on my blog for neocolors - you can see a bunch of (crappy) things I did for the Index Card a Day challenge I did a few years back.

Rosa said...

Oh yay! I'll have to go and have a look. I can't wait for my finals to be over so I can play with all my new art supplies!