Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Quick Update

Wow. It's been awhile since I updated, hasn't it? Thanksgiving has come and gone--we spent it at home with our sick kitty--and December is upon us. Christmas is right around the corner. Yikes.

As I said, we spent Thanksgiving at home with poor Saba. She had to have a procedure where her eyelids were stitched closed because the ulcers on her corneas (caused by an opportunistic herpes virus) were not healing despite the ointment we were putting on six times a day. Anyway, that happened the day before Thanksgiving and, since she is still also sick with the fungal infection, we opted to stay with her rather than doing the family Thanksgiving. (Which I was sad about because this year my aunt hosted and she is a terrific cook. She did send along some treats, including mashed potatoes that Dave and I split--and then licked the bowl clean. Yum.)

Our non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner was a hefty cheese lasagna and a banoffee pie, which was so rich and sugary that we still have some left over in the fridge. It is pretty intense stuff.. My teeth practically dissolved as I ate it. Very good. I don't get hits of sugar like that much anymore. Oh, don't get me wrong, I eat plenty of sugar, just nothing like that pure sugar rush of a couple of tablespoons of dulce de leche. My teeth are still paying the price.

What else has been going on?

I'm still plugging away at my online classes, the nutrition one and one I added last week, a 2 week course that will give me the background I need for the program that I'm going into. I also had to register for a background check and will get fingerprinted at orientation. (No biggie, it's was done when I was substitute teaching a decade ago.) Anyway, I have to attend orientation, a four-hour class class in CPR, and my nutrition final is due on December 10th. Then I am done for a few weeks. School starts again in earnest on January 16th and then it's going to be a five semester grind that will result in another bachelors degree. Oh boy.

I haven't been in the studio in so long, it seems like a dream. We left a bisque kiln loaded but unfired--not a problem, but I would like to get back to it soon. Probably not going to happen before Christmas though.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, you have been busy! I hope that Saba will get better soon. She's been sick for a while.

I completely understand skipping a big thanksgiving get together, but how nice that your aunt sent treats!

I've never had banoffee pie, and I probably never will, since I loathe bananas, but I've heard about it. It does sound sweet. I've made dulce de leche, and know how sweet that was...add in the other ingredients and OMG...sugar coma!

Good luck with your online classes too...good for you. I hope you are enjoying studying again.

I hope you find time to visit the studio over the holidays. I think the break will do you good.

Have a great rest of week!

Carol said...

Hoping Saba heals soon!
I am teaching a private lesson tomorrow, which is more like just hanging out with my 'student' who is a friend. Should be fun.
In the meantime, I have been having ocular migraines much too often. Ughh.
I need to post in my blog soon. Or shut down my blog. Or something.
xo

Rosa said...

Hi Helen!

Thank you for all the good wishes. Our little kitty is hopefully on the road to health now, getting stronger everyday. We're doing everything we can, for sure.

I'm just now coming out of my sugar coma! LOL! I tried to put persimmons (pernoffee pie?) on a piece of the pie instead of banana, but it was a no go. I wonder if apples would be good? Like a caramel apple pie. (Appoffee pie?) YUM!

Have a great week!