Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Burned Out

I spent another day mostly in bed yesterday, again doing homework and answering emails on my laptop. I only got about a quarter of the way through what I needed to get done. I'm so burned out, it's not even funny.

In the afternoon, I got up and took a shower because David and I were going to meet my brother and mother for dinner. We met them at our favorite Chinese restaurant and had a feast, ordering five dishes and appetizers. There were lots of leftovers, which we sent home with my brother. My mother treated us to dinner as a birthday gift for David.

After, David and I ran up to Target, where we filled our cart with too many things, some of which we actually needed. One thing they didn't have are these little healthy cookies (vegan, low sugar, made with sesame, sunflower seeds, and cocoa) that I carry with me to clinicals to eat on the go so I can keep my blood sugar up. (I often eat breakfast at 5:30 or so on clinical days, and by the time I get to lunch, it could be noon or 1:00 p.m., or, like the other day, 4:00 p.m. That's a little too long to go without food--for me, anyway.) Anyway, they didn't have any at Target. So instead we got a million other things, Crystal Light mix, two kinds of La Croix, yogurt, blueberries, paper bowls that we use to feed the cat, plastic spoons, milk, gum, low-salt Triscuits, the tea David likes...on and on.

We came home and put everything away and I changed into my pajamas and got back into bed and worked on some more homework.

Gray Kitty, who was a stray cat living on the streets before we took him in, is finally--to his relief--allowed to go back outside after his surgery. He's still on antibiotics, but he likes to spend the night outside in the summer. (He hangs out all day in the air conditioning, then goes out at night, and in winter, he reverses it, and spends the day outside and the colder night inside where it's warm). Anyway, he went out and stayed out last night.

I'm supposed to go to campus some Wednesday, and I had assumed that it was this morning (it's not until next Wednesday), so I set my alarm for the usual time, around 4:30. When it went off, I turned it off and went back to sleep and didn't wake up until 5:45. In that little gap of time, I had a crazy dream. I believe that dreams, some of them anyway, are The Brain's way of floating up subconscious ideas and themes to our conscious minds, when we are ready to handle them. This one was important, so I wrote it down as soon as I was able.

Today, there is more homework, four different assignments that must be completed and handed in by midnight.

All I want to do is sleep.

No comments: