Tuesday, August 21, 2018

New York, New York

Monday

The casita de-cluttering continued today. I recycled two shopping bags full of notes from the last two years and I dusted off the big set of bookshelves--which were probably last dusted--as in every single thing removed and the whole things dusted and reorganized--two years ago. (Dave and I both sneezed our way through the early afternoon, though he was in the kitchen working away.) I still have lots more organizing to do--I want to buy some covered storage boxes--and then I'm going to set up my sewing/craft table.

The big news from yesterday was that we got our airline tickets (first class because I'm spoiled) to New York City. I'll be spending four days out there and coming home while Dave goes on to finish out the work week in the Hamptons with his co-workers, one of whom owns a house there.

During my stay, our plan so far is to spend one morning visiting the Whitney Museum in its new home in lower Manhattan. There's an exhibition of David Wojnarowicz's works that I want to see. (I first encountered his written things--Memories That Smell Like Gasoline and Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration--when I was working in a bookstore in my 20's, but I have yet to see any of his photographs or paintings.) I've also never been to the American Museum of Natural History, so we may do that. We're also planning, if we can get hold of the guy, to take a food tour of New York City from Famous Fat Dave. He's gotten quite famous in the last few years, though, so that may not be possible. If it's not, we'll find something else. It's not like New York City will be short of activities for us to engage in. And if all else fails, I've never been to the top of the Empire State Building or to Central Park even. So there's always all the usual touristy stuff.

Tuesday

I just woke up; am sitting here over my first cup of coffee. Today's plan is to find a hotel for our stay in NYC. Then I am going to do some more cleaning and de-cluttering around the casita. I also have to spend some time getting everything in order to register to take the board exams. If there's time, I want to do some sewing and some studying (probably in that order). I have a list of things I'd like to stitch up, including a quilt topper that needs borders added to it before I can start quilting it. I also have a pillow topper and a mini-quilt that both need to be finished. (Although I'm either going to hand quilt or tie the mini-quilt, so I don't need to set up my sewing machine to do that.)

But...it's early enough that I could also just go back to sleep for awhile...

No comments: