Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Plan

Tuesday, Dave and I went out to dinner at our favorite Japanese place. After dinner, as I was paying the bill, I was chatting with the waitress I described last week as "squidgy" and I found out that she is actually the wife of the son of the owner of the place.

Wednesday was kind of a blah day but we turned it around by texting Grace to see if she wanted to go out to dinner. She did, so we went to Sauce and had pizza. I ordered a pizza with meat on it, so we couldn't share that, but Dave was hungry and he ordered two pizzas for himself. (We ended up bringing home enough leftover pizza to make nearly two whole pizzas, so that took care of late night snacks and breakfast the next day.) After dinner we stopped by Trader Joe's so that I could pick up a Christmas "tree" (a tiny little pine tree) and a few holiday treats. (Sugar! Sugar! Sugar!)

Thursday, Dave and I went out and had lunch with my brother, mother, and aunt. We tried a new burger place near our house. The consensus seemed to be that the food was only okay, but the venue was nice. (It is a bit loud though!) My brother and I had gone to pick up his grocery order before and they had substituted a box of candy he ordered for four bags of candy (!), so he brought a bag each for me and Dave, my mother, and aunt. (Sugar! Sugar! Sugar!)

Friday was a day. I don't remember what we did--oh, wait--yes, I do. Grace and I went up to the studio and loaded the kiln in the late afternoon. When we were done Grace went home, but I stuck around and worked on my new sculpture and chatted with Judi for awhile until Dave was finished with his work day. Then he came up and programmed the kiln.

We ended up going out to dinner, just Dave and I, to Annapurna. They have a new menu, so we shared an old favorite (an ABLT made on a chapati with vegetarian "bacon" and avocado) and a new item ("tacos"--one cauliflower, one avocado, both on chapati instead of tortillas). We had kind of a funny conversation with the woman working the counter about the cost of one of their new dishes, avocado toast. She could not believe that people were paying nearly $10 for a single slice of toast with some avocado on it and two slices of veggie "bacon." (Vegetarians are easy marks, maybe.)

After our dinner, we went by Whole Foods and did some shopping. We had to pick up a few things for Dave to take to his mother's on Sunday. (They're making stollen together.) While we were there, we also grabbed a few other things to have around. We are going to make some vegetarian posole for our Christmas dinner along with some Eton mess for dessert.

Saturday. Sigh.

I am not sleeping well. (For example, it's 4:00 a.m. now, as I write this.) Friday night, I was up until about 3 a.m. and I got up at 7:30 with Dave so that I could head over to the studio to kiln sit while he went to his lesson. So I was tired and a bit cranky all morning.

We got to the studio around 8:30 and Judi brought Buzz out. Dave had to leave soon and Judi did, too, so I kept Buzz out in the studio with me. It's impossible to work with him around because he wants to play and play and play. After about 45 minutes, he settled down and I got a bit of work done just as Dave returned from his lesson, bringing welcomed coffee.

Grace showed up after awhile. The kiln misfired. Judi came and went. Paul came and went. Buzz stayed with us all afternoon. Dave and Paul and Grace went out and picked up lunch from the nearby BBQ place that we all love. We stayed until about 3:30? 3:45? I'm not sure. (On the way home, we stopped at Sprouts to pick up some things and we got home at 4:15 or so, so I'm not sure exactly what time we left the studio.)

Anyway, I spent the day working.

She is built in two pieces; The top comes off at the waist. When I started work today, she was just a nondescript torso. I carved the top so that it meshed more with the bottom where they join. I built out and shaped the shoulders. I added the neck and head and the ruffles at the neckline. I painted more of the skirt. The face is in shadow here, but you can get a sense of the overall size.
20181215_150214.jpg
The proportions are slightly off. She should be slightly taller on the bottom than on the top, but such is the way. (I'm thinking now that she may be pliable enough still to build and add on a base that will add an inch or two to the bottom.) I built the head a bit big to exaggerate it slightly, make it more cartoonish. 

Here are closeups of the face. I like her.
20181215_150221.jpg
She's going to get a very large folklorico-style hair bun at the back of her head, surrounded by flowers. I had originally planned to carve out her ribs, clavicle, sternum, scapulae, etc., so that you could see into and through the center of the sculpture (she is hollow, of course), but then since I also am making her arms and hands bare bones, wired, and the wire has to pass from one side to another through the center of the sculpture, I decided not to carve out the ribs, etc. (because I don't want the wire to be visible).
20181215_150241.jpg
I may add an armful of flowers, marigolds perhaps. That's the plan anyway.

No comments: